Wooden Camera just announced its new monitor cage: the Director’s Monitor Cage v3. It offers an upgraded design that improves on its best-selling predecessors.
The Director’s Monitor Cage v3 is a redesigned version of Wooden Camera’s very popular Director’s Monitor Cage series. It can support any LCD on-camera monitor up to 9 inches. Design-wise, the cage has dropped its weight — and it is a notable drop. The weight has been dropped from 2 pounds to 1 pound. That’s a full 1 pound drop from v2 to v3.
What monitors are supported by the Director’s Monitor Cage v3?
Like we said before, the cage can handle any monitor that doesn’t cross the 9-inch threshold. Here’s a list of a few monitors that the system can support:
- SmallHD DP4, DP6, AC7, DP7, 503, 701, 702, 703
- Blackmagic Video Assist
- TVLogic VFM-056W/WP, VFM-058W
- ikan D5, VK7i, VH8, VL5, VX9e
- Odyssey 7, 7Q
- Atomos Samurai, Ninja, Shogun
- Video Devices PIX-E5, PIX-E7
Besides the drop in weight, v3 has carbon fiber hand grips. They can be positioned with 15mm clamps. The system features a sunshade that Wooden Camera says is adaptable to most monitors.
- Carbon fiber rods and handles
- Ships pre-assembled
- Can attach via the top, bottom or rear ¼-20 mounts
- Built-in baby pin clamp with locking thumbwheel for light or c-stand mounting
- Dual wireless receiver mounting brackets
- Dual direction swing-away battery bracket
- V-mount and Gold Mount attachments (the mounts sold separately)
- 4-point quick release neck strap for portable viewing
- Teradek XT/LT mounting bracket
- Removable sunshade is included
- Weight: 476g (1 lb.)
- Dimensions: 279.4 x 177.8 x 101.6 mm (11 x 7 x 4 in)
Pricing and availability
The third version of the Director’s Monitor Cage is available for pre-order now for $299. The system should ship in mid-June.