Blackmagic Design recently announced that DaVinci Resolve is coming to the iPad. Known for top-tier quality and powerful creative tools, many industry professionals use DaVinci Resolve every day. Now, the same video-producing software will soon be in the hands of iPad users.
Why is this a big deal?
Since 1984, the company’s Emmy-award-winning color correction products have helped shape the TV and film industry. Hollywood professionals rely on Blackmagic Design’s video-editing software and hardware. Bringing the software to the iPad supports a major shift towards mobile, professional video editing. As smartphone cameras start to rival dedicated cameras, we’re seeing a push for more professional video editing software on mobile devices.
DaVinci Resolve for iPad’s notable features include:
- Compatible with iPadOS 16 or newer
- A cut page for editing and color pages, optimized for a 12.9-inch iPad Pro display
- Up to 4x Ultra HD ProRes render performance improvement with the M2 chip
- Supports HDR display on 12.9-inch iPad Pro with M1 chip
- Supports Apple Neural Engine features in DaVinci Resolve Studio for iPad
- External monitoring using Apple Studio Display, Pro Display XDR, or Airplay display supports multi-user collaboration using Blackmagic Cloud
- Works with Apple Pencil, Magic Trackpad, Magic Keyboard, and Smart Keyboard Folio
- Supports H.264, H.265, ProRes and Blackmagic RAW media files
- Supports clips from iPad storage, photos library, and iCloud
- Can import clips from external USB-C disks
Pricing and availability
DaVinci Resolve for iPad is optimized to perform for Apple Silicon and with the Apple Pencil. It will be available for free from the Apple App Store later this year, with an in-app upgrade purchase available.