In a nutshell
- Cropping videos is simple on iOS, Android, Windows and Mac, with each platform offering native and third-party apps to get the job done.
- For iOS users, we recommend the Photos app and Video Crop app, while Android users can go for Crop, Cut, & Trim Video Editor or InShot Video Editor.
- Desktop users can rely on professional software for regular tasks, but free online tools like Media.io Crop Video and 123Apps Crop Video also offer easy, quick solutions.
Oftentimes, you’ll need to crop an existing video to fit a different aspect ratio. Whether it be cropping down from 8K to 4K or cropping an iPhone video to fit a vertical or square aspect ratio, there are many reasons you may need to crop. In this article, we’ll let you know how you can crop video on iOS, Android, PC and Mac.
How to crop a video on mobile
iOs Photos App
If you are using iOS 13 or later, the native Photos app on your iPhone or iPad offers a convenient way to crop videos without needing to download any additional software. While it may lack some of the advanced features found in dedicated video editing apps, the Photos app makes up for it with its simplicity and ease of access.
How to crop a video with the iOS Photos app:
- Step 1: Tap the Photos app icon to launch it.
- Step 2: Scroll through your media and select the clip.
- Step 3: Tap Edit in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Step 4: Tap the crop icon at the bottom, represented as a square with arrows.
- Step 5: Drag the corners of the frame to crop the video to your desired size.
- Step 6: Once you’re satisfied, tap Done to save the changes to your video.
Video Crop — Trim & Cut Videos
While there are multiple third-party apps you can use to crop a video on iOS, the best one to use is Video Crop. Why is it the best? Mainly because it’s free and easy for everyone to use. You can use it for iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch as well.
How to crop a video with the Video Crop app:
- Step 1: Get Video Crop if you don’t already have it. You can download it for free on the App Store.
- Step 2: Once in the app, tap the crop icon in the middle of the scene.
- Step 3: After you’ve clicked the icon, you will see a list of all the video files you have on your iPhone. Select the one you want to crop and tap the checkmark at the top right of the screen.
- Step 4: There will be a box around the frame of your video. Drag one of the corners of the box. Everything outside of the box will be cropped. You can also tap the center of the box to move it around without changing its size.
- Step 5: Once you are done with the crop, tap the arrow pointing left in the top-right corner of the screen. This will render your video.
- Step 6: You will be able to watch the resized video in the app. If you are happy with the aspect ratio, tap Save.
Crop, Cut, & Trim Video Editor
Similar to the iPhone, there are many ways to resize a video on Android. You can use an app called Crop, Cut, & Trim Video Editor. It’s a simple app that allows you to scale the part of the clip you want to crop. Here’s how do that:
How to crop a video with Crop, Cut, & Trim Video Editor:
- Step 1: Open the app and select the clip you are looking to crop.
- Step 2: From there, select the Crop option.
- Step 3: You will see a rectangle appear around the video. Everything outside of the rectangle will be cropped out. You can adjust the rectangle to crop out whatever you don’t want.
- Step 4: Once you are happy with the crop, hit the check-mark on the top right corner of the screen. That will save your video.
Video Editor & Maker — Inshot
If you are looking for more versatility in your mobile editing options, we recommend Android’s InSight Video Editor. This app is more than just a tool for cutting out parts of a video. You can also add cool filters, change the speed and even add music. What’s great is that it’s super easy to use. Plus, when you’re done, your video will still look sharp and clear.
How to crop a video with the InShot app:
- Step 1: After you start the app, tap on Video to pick the clip you want to work on.
- Step 2: At the bottom of your screen, you’ll see a button that says Canvas. Tap it.
- Step 3: Now you’ll see options like 1:1 — which is great for Instagram — or 16:9 — good for YouTube. Pick one or move the frame to cut out what you don’t want.
- Step 4: Look at your video to make sure it’s how you like it. If you want, add some of the cool features in InShot, like filters or music.
- Step 5: When you’re happy with your video, tap Export to save it. You can even share it straight from the app to places like Instagram or YouTube.
How to crop a video on Windows and Mac
The easiest way to resize a video on both Windows and Mac is to use professional editing software, though this usually comes at a high cost. However, pro software is best for creators who will have to continually resize their videos.
If you are looking to crop just a single clip, there are free online options you can use. One option is to use the Media.io Crop Video Online tool. You can also use the Clideo Crop Video tool if you’re working with larger video files. Both are free and allow you to crop with a custom aspect ratio.
- Step 1: Open your tool of choice and add your video.
- Step 2: Adjust the cropping window to your desired aspect ratio
- Step 3: Export the project as a new video file
If you’re in search of an easy way to crop videos, as well as additional options for simple video editing, the 123Apps Crop Video is definitely worth a look. This web-based tool doesn’t require any downloads and features options for changing resolution, speed, volume and even stabilization.
How to crop a video with crop video by 123Apps:
- Step 1: Open your web browser and navigate to the 123Apps Crop Video website.
- Step 2: Click on the Open file button or drop your video into the box.
- Step 3: A preview window will appear. Drag the corners to define the crop area or select an aspect ratio from the given options.
- Step 4: Click Save at the bottom right and wait for the video to encode
- Step 5: Once satisfied, click the Save button to export your cropped video.
These are just some of the easiest ways you can crop a video on iOS, Android, Windows and Mac. Each platform offers its unique tools and methods, but with a little practice, you’ll discover that many cropping tools follow a similar logic. Before long, you’ll be adept at cropping your videos, no matter the software or app you choose. Numerous video cropping apps are available, so if these options don’t suit your needs, you can always explore other solutions that fit you best.
If you need help rotating a video, check out our article about how to rotate a video.
Contributing editors to this article include Kyle Alsberry and Sean Berry.