There are lots of new drones flying in the skies these days, but not many are swimming around in ocean waters. Navatics today has revealed an upcoming underwater drone capable of shooting 4K 30 fps video.
The drone is being dubbed the Navatics MITO, and Navactics describes it as âa remotely operated underwater vehicle equipped with advanced active stabilization technology that provides new levels of underwater video.â
The Navatics MITO looks to give both professionals and hobbyists high-quality underwater video
Navaticsâ MITO offers 4K video at 30 fps at up to 130 ft underwater. Also, through its accompanying mobile app â available for iOS and Android â it can stream video up to 500 meters away at 1080p resolution. It also sports an active stabilization algorithm that allows the MITO to hover and âkeep it orientation even in the complex underwater currents for up to four hours,â according to Navatics.
Itâs reportedly attached to a floating tether to allow it to transmit controls âprecisely and accurately to the drone deep underwater, where normal wireless controller signals canât reach.â The app also has built-in tools for color correction and can share videos and images directly to social media.
Additionally, the MITO uses four thrusters that allow it to tilt up and down to 45-degree angles, while âmaintaining its depth, heading and orientation at speeds of up to two meters per second,â according to Navatics. Thereâs also two 1000 lumen LED lights giving âexcellent vision and illumination underwater, providing better colors on video and images,â says Navatics.
âWith Navatics MITO, our goal is to create an underwater drone with the ability to stream high-quality video and maneuver with maximum stability to get the best footage.â said Andreas Widy, CEO of Navatics. âWe want to provide this professional level experience, so that anyone from the hobbyist consumer to the professional videographer can experience the marine world without limitation.â
- Components: Navatics MITO, a tether floatation and a remote controller
- Stability: Advanced four-axis active stabilization algorithm
- Weight: 3 kg / 6.6 lbs. (including battery)
- Dimensions: 360mm x 300mm x 135mm / 14â x 12â x 5â
- Mobility: Equipped with four thrusters enabling it to tilt up and down to 45Â° angles while holdingÂ its depth, heading and orientation
- Recording / Images: 4K video recording up to 30 fps (mp4) and 8 MP still images (JPEG)
- Video Transmission: 1080 HD at 30 fps live video within 500 m / 1640 ft. (powered by Senseplay)
- Storage: 64GB Micro SD card
- Depth: maximum 40 m / 135ft
- Tether Length: 50 m / 165 ft
- Tether floatation: 4-hours runtime, equipped with solar panel to extend the duration of usage
- Speed: Up to 2 meters per second / 4 knots
- Interchangeable batteries: 80Wh, providing a minimum 2 hour run time
- Lighting: 2 1000 lumen LED lights
- App: Available for both iOS and Android
- Color Correction: Integrated into smartphone app for easy correction
- Social Sharing: Share directly to Instagram, Facebook and WeChat
Pricing and Availability
The Navatics MITO is available for pre-order on Kickstarter now with a super early bird price at $1,199, which includes the drone with a 4K camera, one battery, a remote controller that attaches to smartphones, and a 50-meter tether. It will start shipping this September.