Panasonic this week announced some all-new cameras, including a new mirrorless flagship, the 4K capable LUMIX DMC-GX8 (GX8). The GX8 is their latest Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera, or DSLM. Also announced is the DMC-FX300 4K zoom camera.
The DMC-GX8 is a step forward in Panasonic camera technology, with the addition of Dual I.S. (Image Stabilizer). The two image stabilizers are a Body I.S. and a Lens I.S., which are individually controllable, but work in harmony to stabilize shots regardless of whether shooting wide angle or telephoto. The correction angle maxes out at 3.5x (wide) or 1.5x (tele), which promises some clear and stable handheld shots in low light.
The GX8 features a new 20.3 megapixel Digital Live MOS Sensor and The Venus Engine quad-core image processor. The duo work together to reduce noise dramatically, all the way up to a max ISO of 25,600.
For us video enthusiasts, the GX8 doesn’t disappoint, delivering 4K video at 3840×2160 at either 30p or 24p. The video footage is captured to versatile MP4 files.
Along the lines of the video capture, the GX8 allows photo capture at 30fps in 8MP equivalent resolution to be saved as a 4K photo.
The new LUMIX has a large tilting LVF featuring the highest magnification ever from a LUMIX viewfinder. The camera also features a free-angle 3-inch, 1,040K dot rear monitor.
Focus in fast action and low light is handled ably by the Contrast AF System featuring DFD (Depth From Defocus), which exchanges the digital signal between the camera and lens at a maximum of 240fps, which ensures fast and accurate focus.[image:blog_post:57325]
To wrap up the GX8, there are a few other features:
- Max.1/8,000 Sec High Shutter Speed (Mechanical Shutter): The LUMIX GX8 offers highest mechanical shutter speed at max. 1/8,000 sec not only to capture spur-of-the-moment action and fast moving subjects but also to allow users to use high-speed lens with an open aperture in outdoors to give impressive defocus.
- Max.1/16,000 sec High Shutter Speed (Electronic Shutter): The LUMIX GX8 offers highest electronic shutter speed at max. 1/16,000 sec (electronic) not only to capture spur-of-the-moment activity and fast moving subjects but also to use high-speed lens with open aperture even in the outdoors, to give impressive defocus.
- Easy Wireless Connectivity via Wi-Fi® with Smartphones ADVANCED: The LUMIX GX8 integrates Wi-Fi® connectivity (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n) with NFC (Near Field Communication) technology to offer a more flexible shooting experience and easy instant image sharing. Once the camera and smartphone/tablet are connected by installing Panasonic's dedicated application software Panasonic Image App for iOS / Android, users can shoot, browse and share images remotely.
- RAW data development in Camera: The LUMIX GX8 is capable of processing the RAW image in camera. In addition to the color space setting (sRGB / AdobeRGB), the parameter of white balance, exposure compensation, contrast, highlight/shadow, saturation, noise reduction or sharpness can be flexibly adjusted while LUMIX’s Photo Style, Intelligent D-range Control, Intelligent Resolution can also be applied.
- Creative Control in P/A/S/M Mode: The LUMIX GX8 integrates a variety of artistic functions that adds fun to digital photography. The popular Creative Control mode features a total of 22 filter options. Effect parameter of each mode is also adjustable.
- Creative Panorama (ultra wide) ADVANCED: The Panorama Shot function allows shooting horizontal/vertical ultra-wide panoramic image by shooting sequential pictures easily. Combining with the Creative Control, users can get a dynamic, artistic image.
- Focus Peaking
- Silent Mode
- Time Lapse Shot / Stop Motion Animation
- The LUMIX GX8 will available at Panasonic.com and photo retailers mid-August in two versions: all black and silver top with a black bottom. The price will be $1199.99 and will be body only.
Panasonic’s second camera announcement was for the LUMIX DMC-FZ300, the worthy successor to the FZ200, a wonderfully capable camera featuring f/2.8 aperture through it’s entire long zoom range.
Building on the success and capabilities of that camera, the FZ300 adds 4K ultra high definition shooting for both video recording and the same 4K Photo feature included with the GX8.
The FZ300 maintains the optical wizardry found in the FZ200 by including f/2.8 aperture from 24mm ultra wide right through 600mm, meaning beautiful, high shutter speed shooting at a great distance.
The excellent zoom range is bolstered by the tech in the FZ300, which includes a 12.1 megapixel High Sensitivity MOS sensor and the new Venue Engine image processor. High sensitivity isn’t just a figure of speech, either, with the FZ300 enjoying recording up to ISO 6400.[image:blog_post:57324]
Here are the features rounding out the FZ300:
- Easy Wireless Connectivity via Wi-Fi® with Smartphones ADVANCED: The DMC-FZ300 integrates Wi-Fi® connectivity (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n) to offer more flexible shooting experience and instant image sharing with easy operation. Pairing the camera and the smartphone/tablet is quick and easy by skipping the password input or by reading the QR code. Once connecting the camera and smartphone/tablet installing Panasonic's dedicated application software Panasonic Image App for iOS / Android, users can shoot / browse / share images
- RAW data development in Camera: The DMC-FZ300 is capable of shooting images in RAW and processes them in camera.
- Highlight/Shadow Control: The Live View function is also advanced digitally making it possible to adjust highlight / shadow separately with the rear dial. 3 patterns of settings can be customized in addition to 3 patterns of preset.
- Creative Panorama: The Panorama Shot function allows shooting horizontal/vertical wide panoramic image by shooting sequent pictures easily. Either “Standard (minimum distortion)” or “Wide (maximum angle of view)” can be selectable. Combining with the Creative Control, users can get a dynamic, artistic image.
- WB (White Balance) Bracket
- Creative Control with 22 Filters
- iA+ (Intelligent Auto) Mode for Photo and Video
The FZ300 will be available mid-October in black for $599.99 at panasonic.com and valued