Motion picture camera leader, ARRI, this week announced the ALEXA 65, their latest addition to a distinguished line of professional-grade cameras. Available only as a rental through ARRI Rental’s dealer network, the ALEXA 65 is designed to allow filmmakers the ability to recapture the golden age of 65mm widescreen with stunning clarity and image quality for ultimate visual impact.
While ARRI adding an amazing camera from time to time isn’t new, the sheer magnitude of this ALEXA 65’s capabilities most definitely is. Probably the folks at ARRI Rental describe the amazing sensor in the ALEXA 65 best.
At the heart of the ALEXA 65 is the A3X sensor; the largest high-performance motion picture sensor available on the market today. The sensor has a 54.12 mm x 25.59 mm active imaging area, which is even larger than the film gate of ARRI’s 765 65 mm film camera.[image:blog_post:51891]
The maximum recordable resolution from the A3X sensor is 6560 x 3102 photosites, with a dynamic range of more than 14 stops. The sensor design is based on the same photosite technology as the ALEXA XT, therefore image attributes such as colorimetry and dynamic range will match well with any member of the ALEXA family. This allows productions the freedom to mix the use of 35 mm format ALEXA XT cameras with the larger 65 mm format ALEXA 65, without having to worry about adopting different workflows or any additional color correction of images in postproduction.
Aside from a slightly wider body, the ALEXA 65 is similar in design to the 35mm ALEXA. As far as the workflow goes, the Codex Vault will handle RAW data from the ALEXA 65 as they do for regular ALEXAs.
Tech specs for the camera are as follows:
- Camera type: 65 mm format digital cinema camera
- Sensor: ARRI A3X CMOS sensor
- Image aperture: 5-perf 65 mm (54.12 mm x 25.58 mm active image area)
- Sensor resolution: 6560 x 3102 (Open Gate – maximum recordable)
- Dimensions: Length: 387.8 mm | 15.3 in
- Width: 208.3 mm | 8.2 in
- Height: 163 mm | 6.4 in (body only with XPL mount)
- Weight: 10.5 kg | 23.2 lb
- Lens mount: ARRI XPL mount with Lens Data System (LDS) functionality
- Shutter: Electronic, 5.0º to 358.0º. Adjustable with 1/10º precision.
- Frame rates: 20 to 27 fps (Open Gate) *
- Exposure index: EI 200 to EI 3200. Base sensitivity EI 800
- Dynamic range: >14 stops
- Recording file format: Uncompressed ARRIRAW
- Recorder crop modes: 5-perf 65 mm (Open Gate, 1.78 extraction), 8-perf 35 mm (future)
- Storage (type): Codex XR Capture Drive *
- Storage (capacity): 480 GByte capacity / 850 MByte per second data rate *
- Storage (recording time): 11 minutes @ 24 fps
- Viewfinder: Electronic color viewfinder ARRI EVF-1
- BNC connectors: 4 x 3G SDI – MON (1) OUT: 2 x 3G SDI – MON (2) OUT: 2 x 3G SDI
- SD card: For software updates and menu settings etc. as with ALEXA
- New high speed operating mode for fast ARRIRAW frame grabs (planned feature)
- Miscellanous interfaces: Focus / iris / zoom motor control with full wireless lens control support
- 5 x RS 24 V
- 1 x 12 V
- TC I/O (5-pin Lemo)
- 1 x LDD
- 2 x LCS
- BAT and ACC connection
Monitoring and playback
- Monitoring: 3 independent color outputs, all with optional overlays:
- EVF-1 OUT
- MON (1) OUT
- MON (1) OUT
- MON OUT assistive displays:
- Zoom, overscan, overlay info, frame lines, false color exposure check, peaking focus check
- CDL: CDL server support is provided as ALEXA XT
- In-camera playback: Playback via EVF-1, HD-SDI MON OUT including audio
Along with the camera, ARRI announced a lineup of new 65mm zoom and prime lenses for use with the ALEXA 65. They include a 50-110mm Zoom 65 and eight Prime 65 lenses, ranging from 24 mm to 300 mm. The lenses utilize state-of-the-art optics from Hasselblad, contained in beautiful and uniform lens barrels co-developed with IB/E Optics.
As this is a rental-only camera, there are no details on pricing. Visit ARRI Rental for more info.