Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews › Forums › General › YouTube Guitar Teaching Videos
- September 28, 2018 at 1:00 PM #72001158
First off I’m a newbie in video production. I’m trying to record myself playing guitar with my Canon Vixia HV21. It would be really handy if I could see myself on my PC computer screen while recording so that I can adjust the zoom, from where I’m sitting, with the remote but discovered I can’t do this with the HV21 because it doesn’t have firewire. There’s someone selling a used HV30 for $200 on Kijiji and has firewire which I’m considering depending on the advice I get. My computer does not have firewire either, but I believe I could buy a capture card to remedy this problem. However, in my research I discovered that Windows 10 kind of does not support firewire anymore. So my question is how do I go about doing this?
- This topic was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Dom47.
- September 28, 2018 at 5:06 PM #72001165bobspezParticipant
Have you tried connecting the camera output to a computer monitor with the computer off while recording to see if you get an image? I don’t believe firewire makes any difference. What output connectors does the camera have?
- September 28, 2018 at 6:01 PM #72001166
No, I haven’t because i need to have the computer on to play along to the backing tracks I created. I have HDMI on the camera and monitor as well. I should try it and if it works I would be better off buying another monitor rather than another camcorder. I didn’t think of that so thanks for your help.
- This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Dom47.
- September 29, 2018 at 2:48 AM #72001168
My windows 8 and 10 machines work fine with firewire, if it helps.
Why don’t you just connect the AV cable and plug it into a monitor or small TV?
- September 29, 2018 at 8:22 AM #72001170
I only have stereo audio out, no video. So will buy a HDMI to Mini Hdmi today sad see how that works out. Eventually, I will need two camcorders, one for each guitar hand for P in P instructional videos. I want o see how this business idea of mine will pan out first and then see if it’s worth buyng a prosumer camcorder. Thanks for letting me know about Windows/firewire.
- September 29, 2018 at 8:37 AM #72001171
- September 29, 2018 at 1:07 PM #72001176
- October 2, 2018 at 10:15 AM #72001292
Thanks to everyone for their time. I’ve decided to go with Paulears idea of using my small TV monitor.
- October 3, 2018 at 10:11 AM #72001380
- October 5, 2018 at 7:13 AM #72001543
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.