180 degree rule fix

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi,
      I’m new to video filming and editing. One of the obvious mistakes for a novice is breaking 180 degree rule, and I did it several times while filming with a drone.
      Last time I was filming a powerboat going into a not-so-fast spin. I did use an nd filter but still had an exposure of 1 / 200 sec. Dron was just ‘ sitting ‘ above a powerboat, but footage looks a bit choppy.
      Is there a way to fix it in Premier, to get some motion blur and make it smooth ?
      Thanks

Participant

If you post a clip, it would help. Others could take a try at it. Any smoothing (like a blur) will also lose detail.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Avatarbobspez.
      Participant

With regard to your first paragraph: the simplest way to fix shots that break the 180 degree “rule” is to cut to a neutral shot between the offending shots. For example: shot One has an airplane flying from the viewer’s left to right. Shot Two has the same plane entering frame from the viewer’s right and flying left. Insert a shot of spectators looking up toward the sky *no plane in sight) and the problem is resolved. You’ve effectively changed the observer’s viewpoint.

Participant

JackWolcott Sorry about the confusion – I was referring to 180 degree shutter rule. It looks like there’s not enough fps to capture smooth movement. I was shooting at 25 fps, for that kind of scene should have been at least 50. I’ll speed up the clip some 200 – 300 % in any case, don’t know whether it’s going to make it better or worse.

Participant

Bobspez Agree, will post the clip when I get it of the card.

Participant

I finished a short promo clip, here is the link :

All clips are at ‘ optical flow ‘, but there is no echo on it. Although all camera movements were ( reasonably ) slow and gentle there is still some amount of flicker and jitter.
      As I said all is shot at 25 fps, at 4 k.
      Having seen the footage, what would you do to minimize the jitter ?

Participant

I watched this twice, once full screen, once in a small window. It is playing at 1080P on Youtube rather than 4K. I don’t see any jitter at all. Are you referring to the whitecaps in the water? Could you tell where in the clip (minutes and seconds) you notice jitter?

CharlesBennettCharlesBennett
      Participant

No jitter here either. I can tell it was shot at 25fps but that does not detract from the end result.

Participant

I don’t perceive any jitter whatsoever. Is it accurate to say that you are alluding to the whitecaps in the water?

Participant

All footage was shot on 4K, in order to be able to do zoom and pan in editing. It was edited and exported in 1080P. My main concern is jitter on front of the speed boat at 1.01, it looks like boat reached speed that 25 fps can’t record as a smooth movement.
      Also, lower left corner at 0.47 looks shaky.
      I know it’s not a major issue, but would like to be able to produce sleek action shots.
      Perhaps I should have shot it at 50 fps.

Participant

@ klimbo
        I was alluding to movement of the speedboat, it didn’t look as smooth as hoped.

Participant

You are correct. If you run this full screen at 1/4 speed on youtube you can see the uneven forward motion of the boat. Maybe 60fps would make a difference.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Avatarbobspez.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
homicide-bootstrap