Ibexy, In the US you don’t



In the US you don’t need a license but you may need written permission to shoot in certain places (i.e. permit.) In most of the other countries it’s the same or at least you have to let certain public or governmental offices know what you are doing and where you will be shooting. Ideally, when you shoot famous buildings you almost always have to get permission particularly if you are not official press covering an event like the one Coreece just described. Also, it’s generally a good idea when you video people to get a written release or at minimum get them to say it’s okay on tape. Easier to do during an interview, tougher during crowd shots. Usually, during a public event in a public place most times it’s viewed as okay to video (showing up with professional looking gear can make it easier to not get hassled.) According to US copyright law once you’ve turned the footage into a unique edited program you are instantly considered the copyright holder and may exhibit, sell or distribute it as you please. However, to protect your rights you must register the program for official copyright. Since you will have posted the program to your unique website, it will be considered as ‘published’ giving you further proof of your rights of ownership. Things that will get you in trouble are showing name branded item logos or products without the written permission of the copyright holder (odds are you didn’t get COKE or NIKE’s permission to show their logo on that couple’s t-shirts in your video.) The big companies are absolute Nazi’s when it comes to copyright infringement and they don’t care what country you come from or whether you were ‘ignorant’ of the rules.

Best Products

The Best Bags and Cases

The best camera bags and cases — 2020

Finding the right camera bag or case for your gear can be challenging, particularly if this is the first bag or case you've ever purchased.