Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews › Forums › Technique › Editing › Building A Computer For Vegas Pro 9 › Greetings, Here is a tip f
Here is a tip for getting a top notch computer at a very low price.
Find a computer discounter and browse their site for systems that have the following specs.
1. Xeon or Phenom processor. Stay away from the low end processors like the Intel Celeron and AMD Sempron. Although these processors come in dual core and have progressed over the years, they are not the best for video editing or 3D work. You want a genuine processor even if it is old.
2. Serial ATA hard drives with at least 7400 RPM. Better yet find a system that supports SCSI hard drives. Only used system drives that are at least 10,000 RPMS and keep the size to less than 200 gigs. For storage space use an external Firewire, or USB 2.0 Hard disk.
3. The system must be able to support at least 10 gigs of Ram. If you can do 32 even better.
4. You definitely want a workstation graphics card either an NVidia Quadro or ATI FireGL. However you can find some excellent cards by Matrox and 3D Lads. These are usually older cards but their performance is great. For example, I own a Matrox Mystique with 2 megs of ram that can compete with newer more advanced cards. You can find an NVidia Quadro FX3500 with 256MB of memory for under 50.00 dollars easily.
Take a look at this dual processor server that you can use to edit videos at a great price.
<table class=”spec” cellspacing=”0″>
<td>Experience the latest business
computing technology with this HP ProLiant DL380 (G3) Generation 3 2U
Server. Powered by two Intel Xeon 3.0 GHz processors and 4 GB DDR RAM,
this DL380 G3 features FOUR 72 GB SCSI hard drives for up to 144 GB of
high-speed storage capacity!
Other features include the integrated Lights-Out (iLo) Network
Management, dual integrated NC7781 PCI-X Gigabit Ethernet network
controllers, integrated ATI Rage XL Video Controller with 8 MB SDRAM
video memory, and two 400-watt power supplies!
Eight system fans help keep the HP ProLiant DL380 nice and cool! Add the
server operating system and connect the peripherals to complete this
Compaq HP Proliant DL380 / Dual Xeon 3.0Ghz. / 4GB / 4x72GB/ 2U Server
<td colspan=”2″ class=”title”>Processor & Chipset</td>
<td>Dual Intel Xeon 3.0Ghz</td>
<td colspan=”2″ class=”title”>Memory</td>
<td colspan=”2″ class=”title”>Storage</td>
<td>4 x 72GB</td>
<td colspan=”2″ class=”title”>General Features</td>
– No Server Operating System
– 2U form factor chassis
– Two (2) Intel Xeon 3.2 GHz processors
– 4 GB DDR ECC Registered RAM (12 GB maximum supported)
– 24x CD-ROM drive
– 1.44 MB floppy drive
– Four (4) 72 GB SCSI hard drives
– Support for up to six 1-inch Wide Ultra3/Ultra320 SCSI hot plug hard
drives or for five hot plug hard drives and one AIT hot plug tape drive
– Maximum Internal Storage: 1.80 TB (6 x 300 GB Ultra320 1-inch Hard Drives)
– ATI Rage XL integrated video w/8 MB SDRAM video memory
– Two (2) NC7781 PCI-X Gigabit NICs
– Eight (8) System fans
– Two (2) 400-watt power supplies
– Integrated Smart Array 5i Plus Controller
– Integrated Lights-Out (iLO) Management standard on system board
– Automatic Server Recovery (ASR), ROM Based Setup Utility (RBSU), Insight Manager 7, Status
– LEDs including system health and UID and SmartStart
– Motherboard Features:
– Socket 604 architecture
– Two (2) PCI-X 100 MHz slots on a PCI Riser Cage
– One (1) PCI-X 133 MHz slots on a PCI Riser Cage
– Six (6) 184-pin DIMM sockets (two occupied)
– Supports up to 12 GB PC-2100 RAM w/Advanced ECC support
– I/O Ports:
– Two (2) PS/2 ports
– One (1) 9-pin serial port
– One (1) 15-pin VGA port
– Two (2) USB ports
– One (1) iLO (Integrated Lights Out) connector
– Two (2) RJ-45 Ethernet jacks
– One (1) External SCSI (VHDCI)
– One (1) Rear unit identification LED button
– Power-on password
– Keyboard password
– Diskette drive control
– Diskette boot control
– QuickLock, Network Server Mode
– Serial interface control
– Administrator’s password
– Disk configuration lock
– CPU Support:
– Intel Xeon Processor 3.2 GHz/533 MHz – 512 KB / 2 MB
– Intel Xeon Processor 3.2 GHz/533 MHz – 512 KB / 1 MB
– Intel Xeon Processor 3.06 GHz/533 MHz – 512 KB/1 MB
– Intel Xeon Processor 2.8 GHz/533 MHz – 512 KB/ 1 MB
– Intel Xeon Processor 3.06 GHz/533 MHz – 512 KB
– Intel Xeon Processor 2.8 GHz/400 MHz – 512 KB
– Intel Xeon Processor 2.4 GHz/400 MHz – 512 KB
– Case Dimensions:
– 3.38 x 17.50 x 25.75-inches (H x W x D, approximate)
HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK THIS SYSTEM IS WORTH?
This system is worth $249.00 DOLLARS