Congratulations to Canon! The EOS C300 Mark III is Videomaker’s pick for the best cinema camera for NAB Week 2020.
This Super 35mm camera features a new Dual Gain design and an interchangeable lens mount. This makes the camera ideal for a range of video content production. The C300 Mark III reaffirms Canon’s current focus on Super 35mm and full-frame content creation. The camera shoots up to 4K DCI/UHD at 120 fps. Also, it sports 2 card slots and 5-axis electronic image stabilization. For these reasons and more, the EOS C300 Mark III is the best cinema camera for NAB Week 2020.
“Creativity should never be hampered by a lack of choice. Canon understands that, which is why we continue to expand and build upon our award-winning lineup of Cinema EOS cameras,” said Tatsuro “Tony” Kano, executive vice president of Canon USA.
Canon C300 Mark III overview
The camera features a new 4K Super 35mm DGO imaging system that’s capable of capturing HDR video. It does this by reading out each pixel through two separate gains. The first gain focuses on saturation in highlighted areas. The other gain suppresses noise in the shadows. Canon claims this results in an image with up to 16+ stops of dynamic range. As for recording, the camera can shoot UHD and DCI 4K at up to 120 fps. In 2K, the camera shoots up to 180 fps. The C300 Mark III also records Canon RAW Lite internally in 2K and 4K.
Taking a look inside, the camera is equipped with the DIGIC DV 7, the latest Canon video imaging processor.
C300 Mark III’s design
Just like the C500 Mark II, the C300 Mark III is modular and customizable. 13 accessories are included with the camera. Among them are a 4.3-inch LCD monitor and the GR-V1 grip. Essentially, you can choose what accessories you want to use with your camera. For instance, there’s an optional EVF-V70 electronic viewfinder.
- 4K DCI/UHD up to 120 fps and 2K/HD up to 180 fps — with 4:2:2 10-bit XF-AVC recording
- 2 CFexpress media card slots
- Compatibility with EF and PL lenses (with optional mount kit) as well as anamorphic and spherical lenses
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF, up to 120fps
- 5-axis electronic image stabilization, which can be utilized even without the use of a lens with IS functionally
- The C300 Mark III has support for Canon Log 2 and 3
- Four-channel recording that supports 4 XLR inputs with the use of the EU-V2 expansion unit
- User LUT allowing users to upload and apply custom LUTs
- The camera body is approximately 6 in (width) x 5.8 in (height) x 6.6 in (depth) with a bodyweight of approximately 3.9 lbs
Pricing and availability
The Canon EOS C300 Mark III Cinema Camera will be out later in 2020 for $10,999.