Oftentimes, you may need to crop an existing video to fit a different aspect ratio. Whether it be cropping down from 8K to 4K or cropping an iPhone video to fit a vertical or square aspect ratio, there are many reasons you may need to crop. In this article, we’ll let you know how you can crop video on iOS, Android, PC and Mac.
How to crop a video on mobile
While there are multiple apps you can use to crop a video on iOS, the best one to use is Video Crop. Why is it the best? Mainly, it is free and easy for everyone to use. You can use it for iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch as well. Let’s get into the steps:
- Step 1: Get Video Crop if you don’t already have it. You can download it for free on the App Store.
- Step 2: Once in the app, tap the crop icon in the middle of the scene.
- Step 3: After you’ve clicked the icon, you will see a list of all the video files you have on your iPhone. Select the one you want to crop and tap the checkmark at the top-right of the screen.
- Step 4: There will be a box around the frame of your video. Drag one of the corners of the box. Everything outside of the box will be cropped. You can also tap the center of the box to move it around without changing its size.
- Step 5: Once you are done with the crop, tap the arrow pointing left in the top-right corner of the screen. This will render your video.
- Step 6: You will be able to watch the resized video in the app. If you are happy with the aspect ratio, tap Save.
Similar to the iPhone, there are many ways to resize a video on Android. You can use an app called Crop & Trim Video. It’s a simple app that allows you to scale the part of the video you want to crop. Here’s how do that:
- Step 1: Open the app and select the video you are looking to crop.
- Step 2: From there, select the “Crop” option.
- Step 3: You will see a rectangle appear around the video. Everything outside of the rectangle will be cropped out. You can adjust the rectangle to crop out whatever you don’t want.
- Step 4: Once you are happy with the crop, hit the check-mark on the top right corner of the screen. That will save your video.
How to crop a video on Windows and Mac
The easiest way to resize a video on both Windows and Mac is to use professional editing software, though this usually comes at a high cost. However, pro software is best for creators who will have to continually resize their videos.
If you are looking to crop just a single video, there are free online options you can use. One option is to use Wondershare’s Crop Video Online tool. You can also use Clideo’s Crop Video tool if you’re working with larger video files. Both are free and allow you to crop with a custom aspect ratio.
- Step 1: Open your tool of choice and add your video.
- Step 2: Adjust the cropping window to your desired aspect ratio
- Step 3: Export the project as a new video file
These are some of the easiest ways you can crop a video on iOS, Android, Windows, and Mac. If you need help rotating a video on the same devices, check out our article about how to rotate a video.