Zoom Recorder & Plural Eyes

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

First, let me state I am not a shill for Zoom, Red Giant B&H or Rode.

I happened to be looking into purchasing Plural Eyes when I found an ad on B&H’s web site for a good deal. Purchase any Zoom recorder and get a copy of Plural Eyes free. PE full version costs about $199, so purchasing a Zoom H1 for $99 gets you an excellent field recorder and a great piece of software. Same deal also applies if you purchase a Rode Compact Videomic.

UPDATE: the software is MAC only. No indication that the Windows version is included.

Participant

I went to B&H and clicked on some products and it seems like it's only available for Mac with the Zoom products. Is there a way to get it for PC that I didn't find? I would buy a second Zoom recorder if it was also for PC. I've been very happy with my H2n (although sorta kicking myself for not going straight to the H4n.)

Also, I could only find the offer on the Rode VideoMic Pro. (The more expensive one, but still a bargain with the software.)

I was unaware of Plural Eyes before now, and as an event videographer I've got to say it looks like the answer to years of multi camera sync annoyance. Why hasn't Adobe done this already? It doesn't seem like rocket science. If I can eyeball it and take a listen, why can't Premiere crunch some ones and zeros? πŸ™

Participant

I went to B&H and clicked on some products and it seems like it's only available for Mac with the Zoom products. Is there a way to get it for PC that I didn't find? I would buy a second Zoom recorder if it was also for PC. I've been very happy with my H2n (although sorta kicking myself for not going straight to the H4n.)

Also, I could only find the offer on the Rode VideoMic Pro. (The more expensive one, but still a bargain with the software.)

I was unaware of Plural Eyes before now, and as an event videographer I've got to say it looks like the answer to years of multi camera sync annoyance. Why hasn't Adobe done this already? It doesn't seem like rocket science. If I can eyeball it and take a listen, why can't Premiere crunch some ones and zeros? πŸ™

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

So how duzzit work? It would seem necessary to have a reference sync audio track such as would be camera audio in order for the " new " audio track to be properly positioned . . . . A few years back there was a program called " Titan " ( or wuzzit " Tighten " ? ) which would automatically sync up ADR tracks to production sound.

Participant

Plural Eyes does require a master track to synch to. It was originally designed with DSLR shooters in mind who capture high quality video but low quality audio. The DSLR provides the "scratch" track that provides the reference for Plural Eyes. Then it's just a matter of matching waveforms.

I plan to purchase the Windows version because I taped a conference last week and captured the best audio on my H4n. As luck would have it, one of the folks that organized the conference brought along a wireless mic system that I believe caused distortion of the audio in one of the cameras. Had I not used the H4n as the master track, I'd have had to rely on the two camera audio tracks, and one is useless.  Be wary of these cheapo wireless systems. I don't know what brand it is, but I've tracked down where the interference came from and it is definitely from the wireless.

Participant

Thanks for the Heads up!, just ordered this from B&H…………

I'm wondering if Plural Eyes might be REALLY helpful to me–novice that I am.  I have an outdoor wedding video with which I have been wrestling (tyring to edit to an acceptable level!!)–starting with wind noise.

Wind noise aside, I used  a Tascam deck to record audio in addition to my (ugh!) on-camera mic.

Of course, I have a number of tracks on the audio deck.

I use Adobe CS6. Will Plural Eyes "work" with CS6 and help me get a "final" video with "all" my extra audio tracks, and in sync, with my video track?  Is Plural Eyes, as a software item, work as a plug-in with CS6, or…?

Many thanks for any suggestions/comments/advice.

Participant

Plural Eyes works well with CS6 and will synch many tracks as long as all the tracks have the same audio. There's plenty of videos on Youtube and on the Adobe site showing how it works.

Plural Eyes is not an audio editing application and you will not be able to edit your audio tracks to reduce wind noise or other problems.

Ed…Thanks.  From some cursory research, I learned PluralEyes works the best with unedited tracks.  My concern was linking my camera video and audio with some audio I recorded separately.  As you note, PluralEyes is "the way to go."

Apparently, getting my tracks to sync (particularly with PluralEyes) will be "a piece of cake" compared to the chore of trying to eliminate as much wind noise as possible.  I'm just hoping, after the sync, Audition will do a super job of allowing the voice to emerge and become quite audible.

I may have to use a method of the Big Boys (Hollywod) and (try to) re-cord the music.  The voice, though, is THE wedding ceremony, with virtually no chance of a re-do (as, I'm sure all are painfully aware).

Many thanks on the comments/suggestions regarding PluralEyes.  This must be a very critical tool for editing.

Participant

I heard about Plural Eyes on a video someone posted from an NAB show I think. It would seem to be the kind of useful tool Premiere or other NLEs would include.

I own an H4n and I really like it. Music and voice capture is very high quality, even with the built-in mics. 

Participant

Just before placing the order I noticed that too, so no deal for me since I'm a Windoze user. I've modified my original post to correct the oversight.

• Viewing 13 reply threads

6   +   6   =  

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
    homicide-bootstrap