Writing to disappear

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

My students are making a one minute PSA about distracted driving. In one scene, they want to show a “bucket list” of activities written on a piece of paper. Some of the activities have a line scratched through them, representing things that have been done. For the activities that have not been scratched out, my students want to make them “unwrite” to demonstrate the things that will not happen because this person was killed by a drunk driver.

We do not want the hand and pencil to be visable in this at all. We want the last items to unwrite, starting from the last to the first – not just to have the whole item disappear like “fly off” in PowerPoint. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Participant

What editing software are you using?

Mike

That is part of my question. I have iMovie on my mac but I can find almost anything if need be. My district has a broad variety of software.

Participant

I use Sony Vegas Pro and I do it one of two ways.
      #1 – use a right to left wipe transition to reveal the writing.
      #2 – use a mask to unwrite it.
      Here’s an example of what I mean. Skip to 2:05 of this video. The static logo had all the dots on it so I masked them out to reveal them one by one over time. I also added a lens flair as they were revealed. You can do the same thing in reverse if desired.

Mike

Thank you. In your example, you made the whole slide fade out. I am trying to make written text “unwrite”. I want the rest of the background to remain the same. If I video writing something, is it possible to copy the clip, delete the hand and pen and reverse it?

Participant

The first thing that comes to mind for me is to record writing on some green posterboard, key out the green, produce the video with whatever background you’d like, reverse the video to un-write.

but I want to get rid of the pen….

Participant

To be clear — you want this effect to happen to a “real world” C.U. of a handwritten list on a pad, not a graphic? Go Old School — a classic lock-down: set up your shot w/ props (including notepad) placed on prop desk/table/dresser. I’d advise actually gluing everything down – spray adhesive on the back of the pad/paper, maybe tic-tack for other props. Frame up and lock the camera in place on a solid tripod. Shoot a half minute or so of the setup – the paper should be BLANK (or contain just the items that are to remain). Carefully, without moving ANYTHING, write/add the items on the list that are supposed to disappear, and shoot another 30 sec. In the edit, you will simply dissolve from the take with the items, to the take without the items. It will look like they are disappearing while everything else remains in place. One of the simplest, oldest special FX in the book, but it works.

Participant

If you mean like this…https://youtu.be/9gf3m0fHqWM
      I produced in the Paint Tool of Corel VideoStudio X8 Drew the letters with mouse movements, I would recommend one of those WACOM things. Then I reversed the video, put an image behind it to show you can have different backgrounds.

Participant

Ooops! Changed.

Participant

I am looking for the video maker software. I am going to start new YouTube channel and for that I need video maker software. I am college student and recently, I have got essay assignment from my mentor and regarding that I was reading some free essay examples in https://eduzaurus.com/free-essay-samples/ website. I was also searching for my essay online and while searching about essay tips I have found your post. I think I can get knowledge about video maker software over here.

Participant

Dude, the video is private…

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap