Worldwide Human Rights Video Project seeks advice

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Worldwide Human Rights Video Project seeks advice

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

All,
      I am managing an international human rights video project in collaboration with the UN.

The goal of the project is to record the Universal Declaration of Human Rights being read by a native speaker in each of its 472 translated languages.

The project will take us to every continent and likely every country in the world.

We have explored different means of capturing these videos, from self-recorded to a fully equipped team.

Now, we’re looking for a middle ground. I have 2 questions for you.

Would it be technically possible to do this with a single shooter (ie. no lighting, no boom, etc.)? This single shooter would need to be able to set up a teleprompter (might just be an iPad) and get the best lighting and sound possible. It does not have to be perfect, but it has to be usable. The subject needs to stay in frame, can’t be washed out or inaudible.

Secondly, if this can be done competently by a single person, how much should we budget per day of shooting?

Looking forward to hearing your input. Many thanks in advance, Noah

Participant

There’s no reason why a competent videographer would need assistance in doing what you’re asking. The perception of image quality will be determined by the viewer, based on the location of the taping. In other words, my expectation of lighting in a hut lit by firelight will be different from what I expect to see in a high rise condo in Djibuti. As long as the light is adequate for recording there shouldn’t be a need for supplementals.

The IPad as teleprompter works well; mount it on a lightweight tripod and you’re in business. Add a wireless lav to complete the kit.

As far as budget is concerned, make it easy on yourself. You (the Producer) pay for all travel and lodging costs. You can determine these in advance fairly easily. Next a per diem allowance for meals — $50 per day would barely be adequate in much of Europe, Japan, and Great Britain, but you can negotiate this with your videographer. I don’t think I would approach this from the “per day of shooting” scenario. You’re going to involve your videographer in lots of travel and lots of hoofing it when he/she arrives at each site. I’d be inclined to think in terms of a weekly, monthly or even an annual salary. If I were setting up this project I’d think in terms of $1000 to $1500 per week, perhaps more, for what would surely be a 50+ hour week.

There aren’t pie-in-the-sky figures; I’ve based them on the arrangements of videographers who does legal depositions all over the country, and others who travel extensively in their work.

Good luck.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2021

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap