Will this computer be enough?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Hi,

i am in the process of buying a new computer. I have an old macbook pro and it's time to upgrade. Since i started recently to do some videos, i have a couple of questions regarding a potential new computer.

First of all, are these specs enough for video editing and reproducing?

Macbook pro 15"

Cpu:  2,6GHz

• Intel Core i7 quad-core at 2,6GHz
      • Turbo Boost up to 3,6GHz
      • 8GB Ram memory at 1600MHz
      • Hard drive 750GB a 7200 rpm
      • Intel HD Graphics 4000
      • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M con 1GB di memoria GDDR5

What type of storage is better? solid state or traditional?

Do i have to store and edit videos only on external hard drives?

Any suggestion is appreciated. Please consider that i hate Pcs, so i don't even consider one.. πŸ™‚

Also, i need a portable solution, so a desktop one, although more powerful for the same price, won't be useful.

Thanks in advance

PaoloG

Participant

Yes, that setup will be more than powerfull enoiugh  for editing HD video.  As for storage I`d look at any name brand external Disk drive, preferably with a USB 3.0 interface, assuming a Macbook uses USB 3.0 (I`m not a Mac user) At this point traditional hard drives are still way cheaper per GB than solid state.

-Wayne-

" First of all, are these specs enough for video editing and reproducing? "

Always consult the recommended minimum specs from your NLE.

And don't ask me anything about a Mac. I hate Macs.

Rick Crampton

Participant

I would suggest a ssd for booting and maybe a project here and there, but also get a traditional external hard drive for storage, or if you got some cash get a big ssd thunderbolt compatible. Other than that great.

wow

thanks guys. I was thinking the same. As internal drive SSD and and USB 3.0 or thunderbolt external Drive

Thanks

PaoloG

Participant

Paolo, when thinking of external hard drive get the biggest one you can get and get two of them. HD takes up a lot of room. Keep all of your program files on the interan SSD drive and all working video files on the exteranal drives. Be sure you have an USB splitter so you can save all work to both exteranals at the same time.

Making changes to help your computer efficiently process streaming video and cut down on buffering time will provide a faster and more reliable manner to view streaming video content.

Participant

Any computer with NVIDIA GeForce graphics is going to provide you with more than adequate graphic card capabilities and the GB of RAM is good for running the editing software.  Your computer rig should be more than fine for the job of editing. 

welcome

Hi guys!
      I am hesitating betwen the lenovo y500 and the mac book pro
      The macbook got only.the basic 4000 vga but the lenovo vot 650sli
      So if i thinking in this way i gonna take the lenovo,but i am not sure. The macbookis much more built for working or maybe this is a silly thing in my head about the brand.
      So pleaese if u have any opinion write it.
      I like go use the.machine for avid after pshop illustrator.

[quote=scottgravatt]

Making changes to help your computer efficiently process streaming video and cut down on buffering time will provide a faster and more reliable manner to view streaming video content.

[/quote]

Hi Scotfgravat,

could you explain better your point….? i didn't quite get it…. πŸ™‚

Thanks

PaoloG

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap