You're using a beta version of our new web site.

Why am I unable to find work as a video editor?

Home Forums General Video and Film Discussion Why am I unable to find work as a video editor?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  JackWolcott 2 months ago.

• Author

AlanK

I have an extensive resume with a great track record. But over the last 10 years, I’ve had no luck finding work. I submit for jobs using all the major online jobs boards. I used to attend networking meetings, but discovered early on that they are mostly populated with other out of work personnel, each person looking to promote their own goals.
    Over this time period, I’ve been invited to interview once, maybe 3 rejection emails. But for all other applications, hundreds of them no responses.
    I live in Los Angeles and have even proposed giving 10% of my monthly gross for a year to anyone who can get me a connection that leads to a decent job. By “decent” I mean, full time middle class income with benefits in the standard range. For this market, standard range is about $50 an hour. They stand to make about $1,000/month for a year for little work. Probably I should make that offer here as well.
    I understand that each video editing job opening here typically gets hundreds of applicants worldwide. There’s no way employers can look at them all.
    But finding a steady job isn’t working for me. I get some occasional work like these two: Associate Producer/Editor — Internet “Djarum Super – Ropeswing (2017) Behind The Scenes” Yoala Creative/Bob Gordon Films. 2017 https://youtu.be/G8nfjBpaEfQ
    And “Clint Lilley: Director/Stunt Coordinator Reel (DGA)” 2013 http://www.imdb.com/video/demo_reel/vi2770508825/
    So, what am I doing wrong? Why am I unable to find work?

JackWolcott
    Participant

You begin your comment with "I have an extensive resume with a great track record:" and go on to say that in 10 years you've had no luck in finding work. These seem to be contradictory statements. Is it possible that your self assessment is getting in the way of your finding work?

There's an old show-business axiom that if you "want to be a top banana you've got to start at the bottom of the bunch." Applied to your situation, especially in your market area, this probably means doing scut work with a small production company, volunteering if necessary to get your foot in the door; taking advantage of your proximity to the company's projects and gradually work your way up the ladder. Hang out around the editing room, work as an assistant and eventually get to cut your own projects. Network within the company; get to know your co-workers and let them see your potential.

This may be extremely difficult in LA, where most of the work is done by union crews. You say that you're looking for a "decent" job, full-time with benefits and a middle class income. Is that something you can realistically expect to find in LA unless you are in the union? I can tell you that in the Pacific Northwest you'd be hard pressed to find a full-time editing job that met your requirements, union or otherwise. There just isn't that much work available.

I don't intend this to be insulting, but if after 10 years of trying I still hadn't been able to establish myself as a working professional I would seriously consider another line of work or at the very least a move to a more hospitable market area.

JackMiller

There’s so much to comment and say here, but number one is, are you building relationships. Your a free lancer who doesn’t work directly with clients, the people shoveling out money for projects, your working with the guy getting the money, and why should he pay $50/hr to you just cause you live on planet Earth. You need to actively open conversations and build relationships then demonstrate clearly why the person benefits by using you instead of yourself. You need to learn how to sell and then sell yourself. Go spend 30 hours researching how to sell and do sales and you will increase your ability to get jobs at least 3x.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.