Which has more effect on editing performance, SS Drive, Processor Speed or RAM?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Which has more effect on editing performance, SS Drive, Processor Speed or RAM?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

So now I am leaning towards a laptop with flash storage (240 GB SSD), versus one with a fast processor.  What do you think– good idea?  Is video transfer speed more important than processor speed?

Hi dwp_18 – with a $2000 budget, the camera system I would recommend really depends on which operating system you're comfortable with.  If you're comfortable with Windows, I recommend:

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E545 2.9GHz – $410

Adobe Premier Elements 12 – $69

Sony CX990 1080p Camcorder w 1" sensor – $1498

Here is an example of the image quality this camcorder can produce:

If you're more comfortable with Mac, I recommend:

Macbook Air – $798

Final Cut Pro X – $300

Canon HF G20 – $969

Here is what this camera can do (please watch at 1080p):

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

brunerww, appreciate your comment since I too am looking in this price range. Recently bought Canon 70D, I was looking at the CX900, which I really liked, but couldn't find any good reviews online for the camera. After watching the posted video above, I'm amazed at the quality, though not suprised because of the 1 in. sensor. I'm curious as to why you went with the Canon G20 for the Mac setup. I just started working with the 70D and can return it without loss for a while yet as I ponder what my final selection will be. BTW, do you know what quality of still frame shots the CX900 produces?

Thank you for your comment, greatly appreciated.

Participant

Thanks Bill.  Sorry for the newbie question, but do most camcorders use the SD card for storage, and do those laptops have the SD card slot?

I am surprised at your recommendation, as I thought the laptop quality would take priority (processor speed and quality, drive speed, drive capacity, RAM, graphics card, video capture)?  Do you think a sub- $400 camcorder and more expensive laptop is better for my purposes?

My videos are mostly indoors and are of training/ demonstration of exercises (people).  In your opinion should I use an external mic (I have a rhode shotgun mic) or use the camcorder's built in mic.  I notice not many sub $400 camcorders have external mic jacks.

Thanks for your help.

Participant

I have a great sony camera HXR-MC50U that I will sell you for $1000.00, costco has toshiba laptops with 1 TB of drive space and 16GB ram with windows 7 for about 800.00  gvpdvd@earthlink.net  I also have a sony PD170 that you can have for $750.00

Participant

Hi gvpdvd, i decided to go with a Canon Vixia HF R300, since my projects are basic interview videos.

Participant

Always use an off camera mic such as the Rode you mentioned. On camera mics pick up too much noise from the camera itself. For interview type videos you may want to consider using a lapel mic if possible. Which is the right type of mic and how it should be used depends on the type of interviews you are doing.

Participant

Computer performance is affected by the processor and memory. They are the most important thing which makes a difference to the computer's general speed. Actually, it is dependent upon which type of software you are using. Hard drive speed becomes a roadblock for extremely fast processors or editing uncompressed video. In video editing intermediate format is used to reduce the need for RAID. 

Hi Frank – I recommended the Canon for the Mac setup for price reasons.  With the higher price of the Mac laptop, the CX900 would have taken dwp over the $2000 budget limit

That said, if I were in the market for a 1080p fixed lens camcorder today in the $1000 to $1500 price range, I would get the $1498 CX900.  It is the best 1080p camcorder on the market today.

But if I was going to spend that much money, I would get a $1698 (body only) Panasonic GH4 4K camera, not a 1080p camcorder. Much better stills and 4 times the video resolution.

You can find more examples of what this camera can do on the GH4K group I moderate over on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/groups/gh4k

If you trade the 70D in for any camera, I recommend the GH4.

Good luck with your decision!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2020

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers...
homicide-bootstrap