Which camera to get please?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      tony1000
      Participant

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a new camera specifically for video and would really appreicate some advice please.

I currently use a Canon 7D mk1.  I am very happy with the gorgeous video it produces although the (too) shallow depth of field and focusing at times drive me crazy.  But the quality of video is very nice.  However, it's started playing up (freezes mid video with orage and white lines).  Even if it didn't play up it would be prudent of me to get a second camera anyway.

I need it for video only – not needed for photos.  My main use will be shooting short (under 2 minutes) videos in a green-screen studio.  These are for videos for small business websites.  However I've also been asked to start shooting some corporate interveiws although I don;t think it'll be a problem if I ask them to take a 2-minute break every 20 minutes or so.

My budget?  Id like to spend as little as I need to to get the same or better quality or as a 7D.  However, I'll go up around $4000 if I need to.

Am I tied to DLSRs?  No.  I've looked so far as the canon t6s, the Canon 700D, the Canon 70d, the Panasonic GH7  and someone in a caerma shop receommened the Sony PWX X70.

I also want a good workflow.  the workflow from my 7D is fine but I don't know about workflow from a camera like the Sony PWX X70.

In case you are wondering why I don't get a second 7D.  1) There are a few things about it I find irritating 2. if i can get the same quality video by purchasing a cheaper camera that would be great 3. getting a second 7D would be like going back to a girlfriend from the past – just wouldn't feel right.

To recap, my main requirements are:

-video quality no less than the 7D

-good for workflow

-the less money the better to acheive the two results above.

Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

brunerww

Hi Tony – I think you need a real camcorder.  DSLRs can give you great images, but they can be frustrating.

And you're right to be cautious about the X70's workflow.  You would have to transcode your footage to work with it in most editing software.

With your budget, I recommend the $3995 JVC GY-LS300 Super 35mm Ultra High Definition camcorder bundled with a free Metabones Canon EF to micro 4/3 adapter.

You can use your existing Canon lenses with this camera – it outputs easy to edit .MOV files (just like your 7D) – and it has dual SD cards – so no recording time limit.

Plus – it records at up to 3840×2160 Ultra High Definition resolution (4 times higher resolution than your 7D), so you'll be ready for 4K when you need it.

Here is what this camera can do:

And a nice overview from Zacuto:

I have shot with this camera and it is a very good value for the money.

Hope this is helpful and good luck!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

tony1000
      Participant

Thanks Brunerww.  Since your post I've been looking into this camera and it seems impressive.

I'll see if I can hire one to do some test footage with it and to get a feel for you.

Thanks again for your reply.

Space Racer
      Participant

On the other hand, if you're already in the Canon ecosystem and own Canon lenses, why not consider the C100? I'm not an expert, but I've shot with one a few times and it's a solid camera. The continuous autofocus is not the greatest, but everything else about it is really nice. 

RRRoger
      Participant

I almost bought the JVC LS300 myself after getting "Hands On" at NAB.

Problem is that most of my Video is done in poor/low light beyond the capability of my GH4 or the LS300.

I use the Sony A7s instead with a 28-135 Cine lens and 7Q+ 4k recorder,

but you can adapt allmost any lens to it.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘DSLR’s’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best video monitors — 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.