Which camera for slowmotion?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Hi

i own a Canon t4i and i am pretty happy with it. However, at Full Hd it only shoots at 24,25 and 30p.

Is there a camera not too expensive that can shoot in full hd at 50 or 60p so that slowmotions look nicer?

Thanks

PaoloG

Hi Paolo – for about the same price as your T4i , you can get the new Panasonic G6 with 1080/60p and a viewfinder that actually works when you shoot video πŸ˜‰

Here is what the European version of this camera can do at 1080/50p shooting MP4 (the US version will shoot at 1080/60p). Note the smooth slow motion shots interspersed throughout:

Here it is shooting AVCHD (please watch at 1080p):

If you don't want to wait until June for the G6 to ship, you can pick up the discontinued Sony A57 with 1080/60p for $549. It too has a viewfinder that continues to work when shooting video.

Here is what the European version of this camera can do at 1080/50p (again, the US version will shoot at 1080/60p – please watch at 1080p):

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Thanks for the answer!!

Does the Panasonic DMC G6KK accept MFT lenses? Becasue i was thinking about buying the Blackmagic pocket cinema camera, that does accept them and therefore i could get both cameras and just one set of lenses that would fit both…

Also, any higher price options for slowmotion that come to your mind….?

Thanks!

PaoloG 

Hi Paolo – yes, the Panasonic G6 (and all Panasonic interchangeable lens cameras) accept micro 4/3 lenses.  Panasonic and Olympus are the creators of the micro 4/3 format, which Blackmagic has adopted.

I recommended the G6 and the A57 above because you said "not too expensive".  For a little more money, the best 1080/60p choice in MFT mount is the $1298 Panasonic GH3.  I own this camera, and it is the best value for money interchangeable lens camera on the market today.  Here is a 1080/60p slow motion piece shot with the GH3:

http://vimeo.com/64406716

I also have a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera on order, because, at $995, it will be an even better value for the money – but it will not shoot 1080/60p.

Good luck with your decision!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Thanks!!

Talking about the BMPCC…

do you think it will be possible to attach EF lenses from Canon with an adapter? I realize that the IRIS won't be adjustable without an active one… but the focus it will be.

I have a Rokinon 35mm t1.5 cinelens that is all manual. I can attach it to the BMPCC with a standard adapter, what do you think?

PaoloG

I have a $17 EOS to micro 4/3 adapter that works just fine for manual lenses.  You should have no problems adapting your Rokinon to any MFT mount camera.

Cheers,

Bill

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap