Which camcorder is best on a $400 budget for an at home business presenter?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Cameras and Camcorders Consumer Camcorders Which camcorder is best on a $400 budget for an at home business presenter?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello,

I need help finding the right camcorder for my needs and was hoping I could get some input:)

I am a freelance voice over actor and I want to move into freelance business presenting as well. These are the videos you see with people looking into the camera and just talking about the product.

My budget is around $400 CAD before taxes and all I want is HD film so it looks high quality and professional for companies. 

Sound quality is the main thing I am concerned of because I need to have a teleprompter set up in front of the camera which will block my voice from directly hitting the mic (it's a simple one, just a glass screen tilted on an angle no black screen surrounding it).

What would you suggest for my entire budget of $400 CAD before taxes and a microphone? I'm completely okay with using second hand equipment. I can usually rent mic's for very low prices at a local long and mcquade too if that would be the best option.

Thanks!

For that sort of money you're unlikey to get a camcorder with an option for an external mic. So I think you're going to need an external audio recorder as well, maybe the Zoom H1.  It has its own microphone but you're probably better pluging one into it (it has a 3.5mm input), maybe a cheap shotgun mic or lavalier. For the camera, maybe the Canon HFR 600. 

Participant

Do not forget something important when you choose: a good camera (SLR, hybrid or compact) will not necessarily offer good videos. Essentially because of the processing of the video, the encoding algorithm that is performed by the device. Because each brand and each model has its specificities (treatment of colors, contrast, framerate, etc …). I saw very good photo SLRs offer mediocre videos

Participant

Thank you!

Participant

Thank you!

Participant

Thank you!

Participant

Thank you!

Participant

Thank you!

Participant

Thank you!