Where to start? Basic lessons for beginners?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      mdonchev
      Participant

Hello,

I'm new to alllthis serious video making. Recently i bought mynew hd camera and i want to make interesting short clips which are basedon some topics. Until now alll my videos were quite homemade and not nice to look at, so i'm womdering if i can find some basic step by step lessons about how to prepare (story boarding?) and everything else i need to do to shoot, edit and create a small nice video clip. 

Thanks to all of you in advance

Martin

JackWolcott
      Participant

Start of right here, with Videomaker. You'll find lots of turorials, as well as DVDs illustrating "how to" and beaucoup articles.

Go to You Tube and type the topic you're interested in into the search engine; you'll be overwhelmed with both excellent and not-so-excellent tutorials. Videomaker has quite a few very good instructional clips, and even the poorly presented material can often be gleaned for choice bits.

Depending on what software you're using to edit, you can almost certaintly find tutorials on line, both at the software web site and on You Tube.

Finally, look at your local library and a amazon.com, where you'll find dozens of books for beginners.

Have fun,

Luis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

And ask any questions you have in the forums. We are here to help each other. 

mdonchev
      Participant

Hi,

Thanks all for the quick replies.

I'm planning to use Final Cut as I have a book for it,

but my question is more focused on the procedure itself.

I want to know what the whole process of making a short video is.

For example: for a one minute video clip … what steps I should take to create a professional short video.
      Like … it stats with a script I guess…. where I can see example script or guidelines … then I guess we need a storyboard.. .can I see tutorials of how to build a storyboard .. .example of story boards … then the shooting .. the editing (lots of books and examples here)..

I want to learn the process for now .. and then to focus on the details or how to achieve this or that effect (video/sound).

I would appreciate any help with this.

Thanks

Martin

JackWolcott
      Participant

1) Start with an idea — a topic — something that interests you, something that sparks your imagination. For example: my dog does tricks; or, how to replace a tire on my bike; or how to cast a plug for bass fishing; or secrets of skin care. In other words, just about anything you can think of that you find interesting.

2) Make a shot list. For a couple of minute scene you probably don't need a script or story board. But you do need to decide what you need to show someone in order for them to understand your topic.So make a list of the shots that will be necessary to do this.  For example: a wide shot of my bike; a CU (close up) of my flat tire. A shot of taking off the wheel followed by a shot of removing the tire, perhaps with the new, unmounted tire in the background of the shot to avoid having to show it separately and to make the shot more interesting. Then a medium closeup of beginning to mount the new tire onto the wheel, a shot of the wheel going back on and finally a shot of you getting on the bike and riding off.

3) Shoot the clips. Do this in whatever sequence is easiest. It may not be in story sequence.

4) Download the clips and begin editing. Put the clips in a sequence that tells your story, in my example "The story of my flat tire and how I fixed it." Use dissolves between some of the clips to indicate a passage of time. In other words, you don't have to show all of the process of removing the wheel. Show the begining of the action — the wrench on the nut — then dissolve to removing the tire. The viewer gets the idea without having to see the excruciating passage of real time.

5) Render your project and burn DVD

6) Submit entry to the Sundance Film Festival. Good luck!

Mike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

Hi Mdonchev-

We are producing a series of Final Cut Pro videos for beginners, the first of which is online now: 

http://www.videomaker.com/video/watch/tutorials/755-importing-footage-in-final-cut-pro-x

The second will hopefully be online today, then we will release them once a week. In total, there will be six videos which should teach you everything you need to edit your first video in Final Cut Pro X.

waltron
      Participant

If you would like to check hardware to rig your camera on cars, boats, motorcycles, bicycles,etc…

Check out http://www.cinegearstore.com

gldnears

Whether your objective is to shoot a documentary or a drama, there are millions of hours of production on TV. One of the best ways to get a sense of productions techniques is to dial up a TV program which deals with your subject preference and watch it with the sound turned off! Observe how the camera shots, lighting, focus and editing  tell the story. Consider how these techniques can help you tell  the story you want to tell. Sometimes it's helpful to select a topic which is of interest to you and attempt to write a paragraph or two which would describe it to another person. Often, the easiest thing to shoot is an event with you as a bystander/observer ( and I don't mean a whole wedding! ). Upload the footage into your editor and see if you can cut it together in such a way as will explain what took place to someone who wasn't there . . . . One of the VERY BEST TV documantary shows on the air is " How It's Made " which runs on the Science channel. Watch a couple episodes with the sound turned off

Rick Crampton

mdonchev
      Participant

Thank you very much guys,

Since I was overwhelmed with my day job last couple of weeks I was unable to do anything else.

But last day, I saw an intersection next to my home with huge amount of snow and lots of cars stucked there. So I grabbed my camera, pointed it to the intersection from my window and start to shoot a timelapse video. Then I applied a tilt-shift effect in After Effects and this is what the result is. 

Of course this is nothing related to the serious things we talk about above, but I want to show it to you πŸ™‚

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=W981wuKuXSU

Thanks

Martin

Battlespeed

Martin, you might want to check out this course over on Udemy – Video Production 101.  It's only $29 and for that price it covers an amazing range of topics at an introductory level.  Then you can probably get a lot more from the more advanced materials here.

http://www.udemy.com/video-production-101/

mdonchev
      Participant

Thank you Jack,

That was very very helpful.

I'm gonna try and to exactly the example you sugested and see what I will come up with. 

I will keep you posted and ask questions if I have any πŸ™‚

Again, thank you very much for the help. !!!

Thanks

Martin

channelone
      Participant

[quote=mdonchev]

Like … it stats with a script I guess…. where I can see example script or guidelines … then I guess we need a storyboard.. .can I see tutorials of how to build a storyboard .. .example of story boards … then the shooting .. the editing (lots of books and examples here)..
      Thanks

Martin

[/quote]

As for script wirting a good way to see a real world example is to buy a script that has already been utilized for a production.

Here's an in-expensive example of one such script.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIAMI-VICE-show-script-Off-The-Wall-/230829529926?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35be831b46

We use a few of these in a class I co-instruct and they work well to lead a student from the un-known to the known.

Wayne

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.