Where do start with embedded video?

Apple's picture

My brother recently asked me how difficult it would be to design a product that could continually record fairly low quality video and store the last few hours in some form of internal memory. I have never done any development with video before. Where would be a good place to start my design?

Do you have any suggestions for an MCU?
http://www.kynix.com/Detail/62548/MCU08050C1000FP500.html

What would be the best camera type to use to keep the project as simple as possible?

What format would be best to store the video in?

Would I need a video codec or is that only need for a device that supports playback? This device would probably just need to be able to transfer the video to a PC for playback.

Any insight you can offer would be much appreciated!

ADDED: I find the digital key of CMOS image sensor , and I see that there are several on there made by a company called OmniVision. These data sheets say that "The captured data can be transferred either by a standard parallel digital video port (DVP) or by a single-land MIPI high-speed serial interface".
Unfortunately I have never heard of either of those. How do you go about getting that into an image file? using C?

Jack Wolcott's picture
Plus Member

Any camera that has a firewire, USB3 or HDMI output; record to a dedicated hard drive in your computer via a video capture card. For details Google "how to capture video from camera to computer."