Where do crew sleep?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hey,
      I’m new here so I hope I’m doing this right lmao, I couldn’t find a category to put this in so I hope this is alright.
      I’m wondering where the crew sleep if you’re filming far from hotels. e.g. if you were filming around mountains and cliffs. What happens after a day’s shooting if you’re spending weeks on location? Does everyone have a tent and sleeping bag (so there’s like hundreds of tents basically) on set? Does everyone go off to hotels and come back in morning (that sounds expensive). Trailers are a possibility too but again, this isn’t hollywood so we can’t afford hundreds of trailers.
      Filming would be a week or two in the same location so how would this work?

Thanks a lot πŸ™‚

Participant

It's something which has to be negotiated. If they are a union crew the union contract will specify overnight accomodations. On truck and bus tours I've slept in fairly nice hotels and in dumps that make the Bates Motel look grand. On the other hand I've been put up in some fairly fancy digs too. National Geographic crews may wind up sleeping in tents on the ice in Alaska, native huts in the Amazon. Just depends on who you're working for and where the location is.

The main thing is to keep your crew happy. If that means renting small mobile homes or campers it's worth the cost. Creature comforts are very important to a crew working under adverse conditions far from home. That means good food and comfortable sleeping quarters that offer a modicum of privacy. You can rent a Winnebago that sleeps 6 for about $135 per night, four-bed campers for as little as $55 per night. Not fancy, but comfortable, with beds and cooking facilities. Keeping the size of your road crew to a minimum will help cut costs.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap