What Temprature is the Base for the Sensor?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hi!
      I have a technical question about how DSLRs work and I don't know where
      to look for information about so I'm asking here ^_^

I'm looking, as any filmmaker, to bringing in the best detail in color and sharpness.
      In the matter of COLOR – White Balance gets in the way;
      I'm looking to be using the exact White Balance for THE CURRENT LIGHT,
      so the footage will be flatter for edit and CC (and for continuity, later on).

But I look at it from the other side:
      What Color Temperature should THE LIGHTS HAVE for the DSLR to get the best detail?
      (less noise will always be a gift!)

What brought me into questioning that is the matter of Green Screens;
      they're good to be green because it is theoretically (already proved me wrong..)
      the least noisy-captured color for the sensor…

Another view of mine is that White Balance is DIGITAL GAIN CONTROL over the RGB Channels..
      Which means it raises DITIGALLY certain colors for each K.Temp…
      That brings me to the question: What Is The Base Temprature For The Sensor from which it adds gain?
      That temprature should be the least noisy, as I see it, because it is the least altered data.

I'll be glad to know more about this subject, and eventually understand what light equipment would
      be the best for my camera, or basically how it works so I can use it better πŸ™‚

*Canon 600D (T3I) with adapted vintage lenses and Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 VC (and kit lenses, too…)

Thanks in advance,
      and have a nice day ^_^
      Shahar DynaZor Alon
      DynaZor.com

I am interesting on base color temperature. any DSLR´s use equal number of light sensible cells with red and blue filters and the double with green ones. The light sensitive cells and their filters have constant physical properties, including the base ISO sensibility. they call this colour temperature as sensor base color temperature.
      I guess that temperature will be around the daylight one.

Participant

I think you will have to experiment because they don't seem to actually tell you how the processing is actually being managed.

I have as an example a six year old Pentax DSLR that I use for stills only for mainly theatrical productions. I dropped it and crack the battery grip. Although I fixed it, I bought a new Pentax. The new one has improved everything on the specs – but the sensor clearly has some issues with the LED lighting I now use so much on stage. Colour mixing of red and blue LEDs in the lights gives a very strong magenta. However, the old Pentax captures this colour quite closely, and the new one just sees blue – not a tint, a strong blue with no magenta at all! No adjustments in the camera seem to cure it. It is just over sensitive to blue and not to red to the same degree. The two cameras are nothing like similar, and the older camera gives better results despite being lower in the pixel count and gadgetry. This isn't colour temperature adjustment, just a perculiar response to certain colours. On conventionally lit sources it's fine – just reacting badly to the very narrow LED spectrum spikes.

I'd suspect you will have to conduct tests and establish your own settings for best noise figures.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2020

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap