What is a good beginner camcorder?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Eric
      Participant

My motorcycle hobbie took me in a very exciting direction last year.  I started my own travelogue channel on youtube.  The 4 videos are doing well considering I have no previous film making experience.

I am working on getting some better equipment this year and a camcorder is at the top of my list.  I have tried to do some research but I am overwhelmed by all my choices.

Here is a list of what I have to work with:

No camcorder experience

$700 camcorder budget

Will purchase used

Will purchase from eBay

Using a Mac to edit

Must fit on a motorcycle

Any thing helps, I appreciate the direction.

Eric
      Participant

Bill,

Yes that is my channel. I started the project last summer with a Kodak zi8 and the original gopro. 

I picked up a GoPro 2 a few months ago and plan on up grading the other camera to shoot all of the show in hi def.  My wife says I take on too many projects so I wasn't allowed to spend money on equipment until I knew I wanted to pursue this hobby. So, after a few months of making the first videos I have the green light to invest. 

Thank you for the lead I will look at the camera. 

Merry Christmas!

Ps, I'll start on season 2 of more Idaho rides and a few out of state ones in march
      brunerww

Hi Eric – pretty sure this is your YouTube channel?  Great stuff. I lived in Mountain Home for 5 years and drove all over the state.  Your videos brought back some good memories.

Yes, you need to step up your resolution.  You may want to look at a GoPro Hero3 Black action camera ($449 at Amazon, $360 lowest Buy It Now price on eBay).  

This camera has no zoom and no LCD monitor.  It is designed as a helmetcam/handlebar cam/underwater cam etc.  But it produces very high resolution video and it survives weather conditions and road shock better than most other cameras.  It can produce stunning images like these:

The other camera I recommend is the Panasonic X900 ($699 new from Amazon (back ordered), $699.95 lowest Buy It Now price on eBay). This is a standard camcorder with a viewfinder, LCD monitor, zoom lens, headphone jack, mic jack, etc.  This is the best camera you can get for $700. 

Here is what it can do (please watch in 1080p):

Hope this is helpful and best of the holidays!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Professional Camcorders’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best video monitors — 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN