What is a good beginner camcorder?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

My motorcycle hobbie took me in a very exciting direction last year.  I started my own travelogue channel on youtube.  The 4 videos are doing well considering I have no previous film making experience.

I am working on getting some better equipment this year and a camcorder is at the top of my list.  I have tried to do some research but I am overwhelmed by all my choices.

Here is a list of what I have to work with:

No camcorder experience

$700 camcorder budget

Will purchase used

Will purchase from eBay

Using a Mac to edit

Must fit on a motorcycle

Any thing helps, I appreciate the direction.

Participant

Bill,

Yes that is my channel. I started the project last summer with a Kodak zi8 and the original gopro. 

I picked up a GoPro 2 a few months ago and plan on up grading the other camera to shoot all of the show in hi def.  My wife says I take on too many projects so I wasn't allowed to spend money on equipment until I knew I wanted to pursue this hobby. So, after a few months of making the first videos I have the green light to invest. 

Thank you for the lead I will look at the camera. 

Merry Christmas!

Ps, I'll start on season 2 of more Idaho rides and a few out of state ones in march

Hi Eric – pretty sure this is your YouTube channel?  Great stuff. I lived in Mountain Home for 5 years and drove all over the state.  Your videos brought back some good memories.

Yes, you need to step up your resolution.  You may want to look at a GoPro Hero3 Black action camera ($449 at Amazon, $360 lowest Buy It Now price on eBay).  

This camera has no zoom and no LCD monitor.  It is designed as a helmetcam/handlebar cam/underwater cam etc.  But it produces very high resolution video and it survives weather conditions and road shock better than most other cameras.  It can produce stunning images like these:

The other camera I recommend is the Panasonic X900 ($699 new from Amazon (back ordered), $699.95 lowest Buy It Now price on eBay). This is a standard camcorder with a viewfinder, LCD monitor, zoom lens, headphone jack, mic jack, etc.  This is the best camera you can get for $700. 

Here is what it can do (please watch in 1080p):

Hope this is helpful and best of the holidays!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap