What is 4k video

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi I note that the New Panasonic GH4 will record 4K video, I already shoot HD video with my Panasonic V720 Camcorder, will the new GH4 and its 4K video make a difference to my video quality??

Dave

dave,

have a look at http://www.videomaker.com/video/watch/webcasts/17391-videomaker-webcast-dslr-video-production

I think this will answer your questions,

chears

Robert

Hi Dave – there are 3 key things you need to know about "4K":

1. It is difficult to tell the difference between 1080p and 4K on a standard sized TV until you are within inches of the screen.

2. Currently, there isn't much content for 4K, nor are there many distribution channels with the bandwidth to stream it. This is likely to change over time.

3, 4K is really most useful for theatrical projection, and the theatrical standard is 4096×2160 pixels (the GH4 shoots at this resolution). That said, most "4K" TVs and camcorders from Sony and others (to include the Blackmagic 4K Production Camera) record at the lower UHD resolution of 3840×2160 (exactly 4 times the resolution of 1080p) and call it "4K", even though, within the resolution standard set out by the motion picture industry, called the Digital Cinema Initiative, it is not 4K.

Here is a good article from Tom's Hardware that does a good job of explaining all this (primarily from a TV, not a camera, perspective – but still useful): http://www.tomsguide.com/us/4k-tv-explained,news-17877.html

I plan to upgrade to the GH4 this year because I have a goal of getting my work into theaters – but for shooters who plan on YouTube/Vimeo distribution or showing their work at home, it might be worth it to wait until there are a few more UHD monitors/TVs out there.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Hi Bill, thanks for the indepth response, I suppose I am always looking for the best camcorder, available, and incorrectly assumed that 4K is the next step forward. However the more I learn about 4K, the more I realise the avarage guy will not be able to take adavntage of the new technology, ie 4K televisions are not available to most, people, as yet. For some, like me, those who enjoy making 60 sec videos, for blogging and Youtube purposes, my Panasonic V720 is more than adequate.

Dave

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best 360 cameras available — 2021

360-degree video is a brand new medium driven by new 360 camera technology. However, its immersive qualities create unique technological challenges.
homicide-bootstrap