What happened to the forums?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Luis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

Today I visited Videomaker's forums (been a while) and I notice a sad state. The topics posted are more self promotion or simply to get feedback (more views) of YouTube videos. What happened? These forums used be excellent, very active with other pro video producers. Where did everyone go? Where is EarlC, Composite1, Dagunner, Cville, Jack Wolcott and a bunch of other regulars? I miss the constructive discussions ;-(

Anonymous
      Inactive

ok.. I can help because I have a problem. First let me say I have learned more in 30 minutes of purusing this site about video making and photgraphy than I have anywhere else. I own a simple canon dslr (550D) and want to work with video. On a extremely tight budget, minimal equiptment and a lythargic imagination. Unfortunely the economy in my area has fallen to an all time low and my area is experiencing record high unemployement rates to which I am among. The problem is there is nothing here… we don't have the grand landscapes of the west or the fantastic architecture of the old countries…

I am void of any ideas of creation. I could (but won't) get into all the pyschological aspects or possible philosophical reasons but I will just say every day is gloomy, cold and colorless. I have no creativity left and I don't know where it went. 

I graduated college with a BA in Fine Arts and Philosphy (the 2 most useless subjects in the US since very few appreciate art or thinking).

I used to paint, airbrush and watercolors, draw, pen and ink fine detailed works and carried one form of camera or another every where I travelled. 

I guess… what I am asking is for inspiration. ideas, low/no cost things I can do to fire up my brain, which still works on occassion.

I live in southcentral Virginia and life here is spent in survival mode. How do I get back to where I once was? May sound like a mental issue and I am sure it is. But there are many outside influences and factors which help shape our mental states. What do any of you do when life becomes gray? 

I am new to the site and forum so I really don't expect any responses.. but it would be nice.

Thanks… and a link to my previous works.. long time ago.

http://wsmithmmg.wix.com/main_page

jsachanda

Wow, what a way to open a discussion. Lomaymi, I think you are correct that the forum is being infiltrated by self serving posters, however, I still think there is planty of good dialogue on all types of tips & techniques. Keep looking and you will see that.

Wsmithmmg, I can appreciate your dilema. First, I went to your website to check things out. While the photos were beautiful, I could not get any information on your your services, backgorund etc. Maybe it's my internet access that's not loading your site properly, but you should check it out and then have some friends check it out and give you some feedback. If you are using this to sell your services, then you need to structure it to be more recptive to customers.

I am not sure what has changed in your environment that has not happened elsewhere. Money is not flowing like it used to anywhere so if you want to get results like a successful business you need to do the things successful businesses do to get business. There are no secrets, good product + good pricing + good marketing = success.

If you are feeling too depressed to deal with life, you need to seek professional mental health help right away. I have felt what you have described before and thought I had depression. That was until one of my family members hit a crisis state and all of a sudden my issues did not compare. The fact you are reaching out for business advice tells me you are in a pretty good state of mind, so let's just turnit around and point it towards a goal. 

If you are OK to go out and build up your business, then you might want to check this out. I recently came across an inspiring articles about good habits for creative services success. Maybe it will help you. the link is

http://castingnetworks.com/newsletter/newshome/newshome.htm#featured/feature4/201302

While it is geared toward actors, I belive it applies to all creative service providers. I think you need to take some time to narrow your issues down to specific challenges and I am sure you will get lots of help from this group.

Woody
      Participant

Lomaymi,

Pretty much everybody you listed has posted some recently. Just not posting a lot. I don't know about everybody else but this is the slow time for me and usually I spend it hitting the bricks and doing my "Marketing" to drum up things for the year but I've been enjoying a little down time this year before the real estate season kicks in here soon.

EarlC

Hello Luis. All. It has been difficult for me, between a heavy production schedule and personal projects, to keep up with things here. I try, and occasionally, when skimming the boards, I do find something of interest, or something to which I believe I can contribute, and respond.

I do, however, totally get what you're talking about as well. An overall shift change has occurred here, with focus on areas of which I have no strong interest or expertise. There's also, thankfully, a boatload of former topics, discussions, questions, replies and useful answers that new and regulars can discover or revisit. However, I have to admit that following stuff here is, for whatever rhyme or reason, more difficult for me than it used to be under the old format.

I know also that I'm not the only one who has observed this evolution, or the difficulty in tracking topics of interest. Sure, there probably are ways … I have one thread that sends me notices of responses there via my e-mail, but I hesitate to overdo that because I do not have the time either to go through a boatload of e-mail notifications, then visit the forum, then respond … etc. Like Wood noted, we do get busy, or not, and when we're not busy trying to survive or make money, much less a profit, many of us are busy with other boards, threads, networks, blogs and life, as well as marketing in an effort to generate more interest and income.

It used to be EASY for me to quickly determine threads of interest and value to me, places where I could share whatever experience or knowledge I have with others. I was so accustomed to the former way of doing things that I could quickly and efficiently locate new, old, current or inappropriate responses, astroturf, spam and take care of it. For a time, when the new changes took place, I was overwhelmed simply trying to keep the bad stuff under a modicum of control. It was eating too much into my production time and other elements of life.

I miss what once was here, and though Woody is correct in that we all return from time-to-time, post occasionally, if not nearly as much, and generally try to maintain the loyalty and support we feel for Videomaker and the VM forums, frankly it's just too difficult for me to catch up. I want to. I LOVE Videomaker, the forums, the members, the information streams and the orgies of argument and debate that has occured over the years. I miss that. I feel the sea change in a shift of interest, questions, DSLR adventists, etc. But I hope, Luis, that you and all the others you mentioned, plus some, will continue to come back, visit, lurk, browse, remark and respond when and where you can. Only by the continued participation of all, the OLD pros, NEW pros, know-it-alls, nubees and hobbyists, will the forums survive the changes and once again grow into the powerful information and community center it is, was and can continue to be.

Also, WSMITHMMG you should check out (shameless self promotion) one or all of my three books on alternate ways to make money with video. These, and a fourth one outlinging a great marketing and branding program, all provide ways and ideas that can be utilized to generate money, even in Virginia's depressed economy. Don't get me wrong, like John S said, it's truly everywhere, not just where you reside and operate. We've all felt the pinch and the hit, more or less, and have had to shift our focus to develop alternate ways to generate interest and income, buiild our independent operations and find avenues for our creative energies. If you're at all curious check out "Seven Ways to Make Money with Video" also in eBook and PDF, as well as a complete guide to funeral video production and marketing, a complete guide to photo montage production and marketing and the Video StoryTellers!™ program.

We all hear ya, Luis, but don't let it keep you from making more of the insightful and informative posts and responses you've been known to contribute here over time. We need you. We all need each other.

Mike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

Marginally related question:

Are you all using the Active Topics and Recent Topics buttons at the top of the page? Out of the 20 threads listed in the Active Topics list, I'm only seeing two that are people sharing their YouTube videos.

Woody
      Participant

No Mike, I haven't been. I've been using the "Recent Topics" window. The "Active Topics" does paint a different picture for sure. Maybe if there was a way to swap them it might improve traffic or just do away with the "Recent" one all together and have the "Active Topics" in both places.

Yeah, I see "Active Topics" isn't on the home page. That might make a difference.

Luis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

** I post this earlier, but it didn't get through. Here it is again **

Wsmithmg

Welcome to the incredibly difficult business that is video. I can say with 100% certainty that all of us have felt like you, with no inspiration, cold, colorless, BUT we keep going. That's all you need to have in your mind, keep going, don't stop and if you work incredibly hard (in video business you need to work 10 times more than others) things will start to flourish. Is natural that your days will feel gloomy and you get a mental creativity block, but again don't stop at nothing and for nothing. If you are focus to succeed in a video business you will. It depends on you passion, dedication and support from other peers, which you can find in Videomaker forums).

I have learned more in 30 minutes of pursuing this site about video making and photography than I have anywhere else.

I been a member of Videomaker for four years, had participate in the forums actively and can honestly say that thanks to this website, the magazine and especially the forums I had a solid base about video production and the business of it. Today I just keep producing, getting involve in other projects (short films) and reorganizing marketing tactics.

Suggestion for you

Create an account on Pond5.com and start selling footage. I saw your website and you have some awesome landscapes that could sell well as royalty free clips. If you are going to do this upload hundreds of footages because this way you will be able to compete.

PS: I highly reccomend Earl's books. They are an excellent resource to have. I own "Make Money Marketing & Producing Photo Montages" which is a must have if you pursue a phot montage business.

dagunner
      Participant

Hello Lomaymi,

This has been a very busy and productive past few months for me with the end of racing season. I completed 2 banquet videos and a few driver promotional videos. I am now working on a best of video for crashes and racing mayhem by pulling from 5 years of video tapes and files. So that is keeping me very busy. I do check this place out at least once a day and see what is happening.

Other than that family is keeping me busy. I also am spending time digging into after effects to get some zing in my videos. Glad to see some of you answering the call of where the heck is everyone! I hope the new year treats you all very well!

Cville
      Participant

Lomaymi

Glad to see you back here. 

This thread is starting to remind me of the old forum.  Good to see several familiar names posting.

i started a new fulltime day job  I'm not getting as much time here as I would like.  

I have been using the active topics link.  But still I don't  think its as intuitive as the old forum. There are a few good features. But there are still things that are not working. I still can't play a YouTube video from my IPad if I'm logged into the forums. 

Luis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

Hello wsmithmg

Welcome to the incredibly difficult business that is video. I can say with 100% certainty that all of us have felt like you, with no inspiration, cold, colorless, BUT we keep going. That's all you need to have in your mind, keep going, don't stop and if you work incredibly hard (in video business you need to work 10 times more than others) things will start to flourish. Is natural that your days will feel gloomy and to get mental creativity block, but again don't stop at nothing and for nothing. If you are focused to succeed in a video business you will. It depends on you passion, dedication and as an extra having support from other peers, which you can find in Videomaker forums.

I have learned more in 30 minutes of purusing this site about video making and photgraphy than I have anywhere else.

I been a member of Videomaker for four years, had participated in the forums actively and can honestly say that thanks to this website, the magazine and especially the forums I had a solid base about video production and the business of it. Today I just keep producing, getting involve in other projects (short films) and reorganizing marketing tactics.

Suggestion for you

Create an account on Pond5.com and start selling stock footage. I saw your website and you have some awesome landscapes that could sell well as royalty free clips. If you are going to do this upload hundreds of videos because this way you will be able to compete. They also accept pictures so use that to your advantage. Don't expect a steady income, but you will (ocassionally) get some extra money (which is always useful).

PS: I strongly recommend any of Earl's books. They are an excellent resource to have. I have "Make Money Marketing & Producing Photo Montages" which is a great guide.

Luis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

Hi Mike

I use Recent Topics, but most times I just look at the "Recent Forum Topic Sidebar". The "Unanswered Topics" is also a good.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Open Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment — 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.