What equipment should I use to get this type of camera movement?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Production Gear What equipment should I use to get this type of camera movement?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Mainly I want to get some dolly moves for some future movie projects, but not sure what kind of dolly and tracks would be best.

I want fast movements like the one you see at 4:57 into the clip:

And I would also like slow dolly movements like you see in this clip:

However, the tracks are pretty expensive, for ones that could be made into shapes. I did some online pricing and the flex track made by Kessler is $340 USD, but that’s only for 22 feet of operational length of track. You can’t even get three seconds of someone running, while following them, with only 22 feet.

So is there anything else I can use to get shots of running during a chase scene, but also very slow movements, like in Cast Away?

I would like the to use one piece of equipment for both needs to save on cost, if possible.

Participant

Dollies on tracks are very problematic. As you have found out, track is expensive. Laying, leveling and moving track is time consuming and can extend costly production time considerably. Tracking a running sequence with a dolly will be difficult and will require a great deal of planning to pull off smoothly. You’ll need to break the scene into multiple takes and move the track for each take. Pretty impractical, I’m afraid.

For the running sequences a stabilizing device such as Steadicam or Glidecam would be a better choice. Although both do a lot of the work in keeping moving shots steady it takes an experienced operator to make either device pay off so you’ll need to practice quite a bit before your shoot.

As for the slow-moving shots, I’d opt for a slider. Sliders provide great flexibility; they are relatively inexpensive, fit onto a tripod easily and many can be placed on a table or other flat surface for shooting where a tripod won’t fit.

Participant

gimbal mounted on almost anything that moves – quad bike, motorcycle. loads of nice products now. even a drone with the props off. if you have something like a DJI phantom, hang it from a pole and drive along – the gimbal keeps the camera level and the widest angle looks good. tracks and dollies are mega expensive, and necessary if you have heavy cameras and lenses – but nobody buys them for a one off project. I have a store full of stuff I stupidly bought instead of hired in!

Actually that's just smart editing. That little piece was sped up and then joined with the black dude running away scene. 

• Viewing 3 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap