What does 1080/50i mean???

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi

I am very new to the world of video, I have a Panasonic V720 Camcorder and I am offered the following recording settings, but have no idea what they mean….

1)

1080/50i

HA1920

PH1920

HG1920

HE1920

2)

1080/50p

iFrame

I am very confused to what these mean and would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. I have tried the internet, without luck.

Warn Regards

Dave

Participant

1080p/50 means 50 frames per second, progressive the euro standard for HD video, PAL standard

Sorry, 

1080 = 1080 lines of resolution

50 = 50 frames per second

I = interlaced (*not* progressive)

Progressive would be 1080/50p

Dave,

Yes the two main scan types for viewing video on a TV or Computer Monitor are; Interlaced and Progressive Scan.

Interlaced scanning comes from the (ancient) form of broadcast television and computer displays using 'Cathode Ray Tube' technology. CRT Monitors scanned electronic fields (images) two at a time. To get the full detail of the displayed image, the two images were 'interlaced' together to form one single image using 'scan lines'.

Progressive scanning instead scans all the lines of an image in sequence (one line after another). This technology did not require a CRT monitor to function properly and was better suited to Plasma and LED based displays.

The frame rate at the end of '1080/30(i or p)' is the number of frames displayed per second. NTSC (US, Canada, Japan) is one television standard which uses 29.97, 30, 60 and 120 frames per second depending on the broadcaster and monitor. PAL (UK, Australia) uses 50 frames per sec and is the other main TV standard. 24 and 25 are video framerates which simulate motion picture film framerates and are the NTSC and PAL equivalents.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap