What camera would you suggest?

Kenny Stokes's picture
Plus Member Online

I have been using 2 Sony PMW-EX1Rs for the last 5 years making lecture videos for a college. We have a nice studio built now and I am looking for a new camera to replace these. They have been good and given us a good images, but with all the new tech that has come out since they were first released its about time to replace them.
I am looking for a professional camera that I can use in a low-light studio. Typically, I record in 1080p/30f, though I take it down to 720p/30 in post. I do a lot of greenscreen work and think a chroma-sampling of 4:2:2 would be awesome. My budget is around $7000. Any suggestions?

paulears's picture

Assuming you got on well with the EX1's, why not look at something like the Sony HXR-NX5R and buy two? Very similar to how your old ones worked, and the look of the stuff they shoot is quite similar?

If you want to move to separate stuff, I'm quite a lover of the BlackMagic Designs cameras, as I have some old B4 mount glass to hang on them. I've not even had to spend my own money because a colleague hires them to me quite cheaply!

Kenny Stokes's picture
Plus Member Online

With the NX5R I'm still not getting that 422 sampling, which with the amount of Green screening I do is a must have.
I have looked at the BlackMagic Designs cameras. They are great cameras and I think the URSA would be amazing, but I would have to do major changes to my workflow to make it work.
I have been doing some research and am thinking about getting 2 Sony Z150s and a Canon XC15 for run and gun. I don't need the 4k but the codecs and 422 sampling are winning me over. Does anyone have experience with these cameras and can tell me yay or nay?

Video Studio LRCS