What camera should I buy?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello!!

I would like to buy a professional video camera, but I am totally stuck on my choice. First of all,…DSLR or a camcorder? I have worked in different audiovisual productions, and I have used both type of cameras. Now I would really like to become a professional camera operator, so I need a camera on my own. I am more interested in non-fiction that in fiction, and I would also like to use the camera for extreme sports, specially climbing, skiing and snowboarding. I have a GoPro, but I need an alternative camera as well.  My budget is around 2000- 2500 $. 

Many people told me to buy a camcorder rather than a DSLR, since I am more interested in non-fiction. But, on the other hand, I am scared about being a bit limited, since I will not have the option of interchanging the lenses…What do you think? 

Thank you!!

Participant

Hey Bill – you always post such great informative posts, how about a challenge:  Would you please publish your "Wishlist" of your most wanted cameras….and in this case, money is not a factor.  Looking forward to your answer!

mitzie

Participant

I just found your website, so, perhaps my answer is there.  Awesome and thanks for all your input!

mitzie

Hi wanataka – 

I wouldn't buy a DSLR for sports or events (no video viewfinder, unless you spend the extra money for a loupe or EVF; limited to 30 minutes of coontinuous recording – so no speeches, plays or sermons; and poor in-camera stabilization).

The one interchangeable lens camera brand that can do this job in your price range is Panasonic, with their mirrorless DSLMs.  These cameras, unlike DSLRs, have built-in EVFs, essentially unlimited continuous recording, and unlike most DSLRs (with the exception of the Nikon D3300 and D5300) records at frame rates up to 1080/60p for smooth action and slow motion.

This is what the $678 Panasonic G6 (on sale with the kit lens as of this post) can do on the ski slopes:

I am a Panasonic GH3 shooter.  It adds a headphone jack, an all-metal splashproof body and a choice of codecs and higher bit rates to the G6's terrific image quality.

Here is what this $1000 camera can do:

If you prefer the camcorder form factor and you want to shoot skiing, you need world-class stabilization.  Sony camcorders are almost unequaled in this regard.

Here is a comparison of GoPro video and the Sony CX730 (the consumer version of the $1849 pro NX30 – please watch at 1080p):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bac0m_V3iTE

Here is what the NX30 can do on a vehicle mount:

http://vimeo.com/39824407

If your budget is $2500 – you can actually afford to buy both the NX30 with a G6 backup 🙂

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Yay!  Looking forward to your list!

Participant

Hello Bill! Sorry for the late reply. Thank you so much, your answer was really really useful. I am still thinking, but I think I will go for a camcorder rather than a DSLR…

Thank you so much!

Inactive

We just put the new Panasonic GH4 to the test in a shootout with the Canon 5D MarkIII & Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. Hold on to your butts the results are shocking!

Participant

@Bill from Hybrid Cam Rev (1/15/14): got your "most wanted" camera list ready to post yet?

You must have been reading my mind, mitzie 🙂  There's really nothing on my blog with a detailed side-by-side of all the newest cameras on the market. I've been thinking that I need to sit down and put together a spreadsheet, and your question gives me the incentive to do just that.

Thanks!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Mobile Workstation Buyer's Guide

The best laptops for video editing — 2020

For video editors, finding the perfect portable workstation is like catching a unicorn. It is no easy task to find the perfect balance of performance vs price point.
homicide-bootstrap