What camcorder is for me?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I'm getting started on creating music videos and would prefer camcorder to dslr although it is still considered. The majority of my production will be at night/low light with the odd shots outside during afternoon. I'm going for an older look to my film, ex. Phil Collins type music videos with lots of fades. Excellent slow motion capability is a must. I have a 1500 dollar budget for the camera itself, and am hesitant in dslr's due to the lens' possibly causing a higher than what I need price. I've read about many types of cameras however I don't have the means to get hand on experience. I am seeking professional advice or experienced users who shoot in the same kind of mindset I've described.

I have a Sony HXR-NX30u in my arsenal, and it has served me well.  It would fall into your price range.  It can capture 60 frames progressive, which can be slowed down to 40% speed in post for 24 FPS.  Image quality if very good.  Manual controls would be the only caveat, as they are all controled by a single fly-by-wire wheel, with a button in the middle of it to select which function to control at that time.  But at your price range, I would say this is your best option, if you don't want to go DSLR.

Hi Cloroxpurex – you may want to consider a modern camcorder with a relatively large 1" sensor (approximately 8 times larger than the traditional camcorder's 1/3" sensor), higher slow motion frame rates than 60p and more resolution than 1920x1080p.

At your price point, I recommend the Sony FDR-AX100.  You can pick one up used for about $1580.

Here is what this camera can do at 3840×2160 (UHD) – 4 times the resolution of HD: 

Here's what AX100 720/120p slow motion video looks like when conformed to a 24fps timeline (twice as slow as 60p):

This camera has its shortcomings – it has a 3.5mm mic input instead of the NX30's professional XLR inputs, for example.  But, in my view, instead of buying a two year old HD camera, you should seriously consider spending a little more to buy a new technology Ultra HD camcorder that will help you to insure against obsolescence.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap