What are the best settings to video inside a property?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion What are the best settings to video inside a property?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I had to video inside a property last week for a Realtor and I live in Florida (sunny) and the problem I was having was that whilst panning inside the living room as soon as I hit the sunlight coming through the windows the video went black and when I got passed the window the video came back to normal, is there a setting I can use to stop this happening? I am using a Panasonic AG-HMC40

Participant

You need to set your camera on manual. It was trying to adjust for the bright light coming thru the window. 

Participant

As Cville said, set to manual expose for best balance and turn on all the lights inside or setup lighting on cam.

Participant

Manual settings, like they said but perhaps I can clarify a bit.

The camera needs to be adjusted in Manual mode for the light. The problem is you have very  bright areas outside and much darker inside. Since you cannot dim the lights outside you can turn the lights UP inside to match,  The problem there is that you almost can never get enough light inside to match outside.

My suggestion is to not try to have the camera show what is outside and inside at the same time, it's almost impossible. Close the blinds is step #1. Then get your exposure for inside.

Suggestion #1. have your back to the windows when filming and then the light coming in will light your room and you can expose to that light.

With both of those suggestions, you can probably stick to automatic if you are not sure what to do in Manual mode yet.

Good luck – curious how it goes for you, let us know.

Participant

I don't know if manual exposure will do much if anything. If you're still setting the exposure for the interior, the sunlight is still going to overpower the camera. Finding a middle ground will likely give you results you may not be happy with (overexposed interior for one). The only way around it is to control the lighting. You can control the sunlight by using ND gels over the window. They come in sheets about four feet square so if you have a window with multiple panes it will work nicely, if it's a single large window you might run into problems. Taping together several sheets might be noticable unless you do it absolutely perfectly. You could try and use some screening material (as in screen door) which will tone down the sunlight. I've never tried it myself but if it isn't too close to the camera it should work. All of this will deminish the light entering the room so there's no way around it, you have to light the interior, probably a lot. I once had to light a room where both interior and exterior needed to be seen. I used two 2K fresnel lights which I bounced off the ceiling to diffuse it. I couldn't gel the windows since actors appeared at them from the outside. Although there was still a difference in the exposure, it was reasonable. It would have been nice if I could use more lights but I was already pushing the circuit breakers and a generator was not in the budget. Hope this was of some help. Good luck.

Participant

Realty walk-throughs don't pay enough for light kits and window gels, sorry.

If you put the camera in manual mode, adjust the iris/exposure for the interior lighting. Then, as you pan past the window, yes the window will "overexpose" meaning it will be pure white/blown out, but the video of the interior should remain consistent. I have to do this at weddings when there is a window behind the couple, otherwise I would be recording silhouettes! I will manually expose the couple to look good (not dark) and then the trees and stuff out the window go away and get replaced by white basically, but we don't care about that, we want to see the couple.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best laptops for video editing — 2021

For video editors, finding the perfect portable workstation is like catching a unicorn. It is no easy task to find the perfect balance of performance vs price point.
homicide-bootstrap