Wedding shooter wanting to make switch to DSLR

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Goose080
      Participant

Hello, I have been shooting weddings for a few years now with a pair of Panasonic AG-HVX 200s. They do pretty well but I was looking to make the switch to DSLRs due to size and weight as well as the ability to be more creative. I am looking at Cannons and am unsure which to get. Would it be recommended to get two 5D Mark iii's? Should I get 1 5D and 1 6D or 7D? I am looking for advice from someone who has shot weddings with any of these cameras and your opinions/experiences. If anyone has any other suggestions I am also open. I would like to have one by winter so I have plenty of time to test before next years wedding season. Thanks in advance!

-Nick

brunerww

Hi Goose080 – welcome to the world of large sensor, interchangeable lens cameras!

It's probably a good idea to switch.  Coming from camcorders, however, I would avoid Canon DSLRs for video.

Canons  lack:

– High frame rates for smooth HD slow motion (they are all limited to 30 frames per second)

– 4096x2160p "4K" resolution for the new Ultra High Definition TVs (except for the $7999 1D C, they are all limited to 1920x1080p)

– a usable viewfinder when you switch to "Live View" (video) mode (their viewfinders are blocked by the reflex mirror)

– usable video autofocus (except for the 70D)

– compatibility with affordable power zoom lenses

Canon cameras are also limited to 30 minutes of continuous recording.  After 30 minutes, they have to be restarted.  This can be a problem if you ever need to set a camera up for a wide shot and just let it run.

Instead of a Canon DSLR, you might want to seriously consider the $1497.99 (on sale) mirrorless 4K Panasonic GH4.

Many video shooters are switching to the GH4 because it has internal "4K" recording (4 times the resolution of Canon cameras in this price range), 1080/96p HD recording for in-camera slow motion, an electronic viewfinder you can actually use for shooting video outdoors in bright sunlight (when a DSLR's LCD is likely to be washed out), fast video autofocus, compatibility with affordable Panasonic power zoom lenses. (like this one and this one) – and the ability to record continuously for hours without interruption.

Here is what this camera can do:

After I sold my Canon DSLR, I switched to Panasonic GH cameras.  I have all four of them, as pictured here:

In my experience, Panasonic GH cameras are the best value-for-money video/still hybrid cameras you can buy.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your transition!

Bill

Goose080
      Participant

Thank you for the reply Bill! I hadn't even looked into Panasonic. I will check out your videos when I can get to my home PC. Does the GH4 have a limitation at all on the shot time? I shoot with two shooters so I wouldn't be as concerned with that. My main concerns are with moiré and low light shooting. How is this camera with those two areas? Also, what lenses do you typically use for a wedding shoot?

Goose080
      Participant

All of this information and demos have been great and very helpful. Could you provide an example or a good quality fast lens that you would recommend? Thank you!

Nate76
      Participant

Hi Goose, I am in the same situation as you. Except I have some weddings to photograph along with my video business and am looking for the best full frame camera. I'm sure the GH4 is great and all but I don't feel it looks good to show up to a paid wedding and shoot photos without a full frame camera. But like you I'm torn by which cameras to buy. I think Nikon has the best value and features in the d750. Canon didn't even put 1080 60p recording on their new 5ds's. I think that 60p or better is essential for wedding photography. Way more important than 4k. But what Canon does have are STM lenses. They are silent and don't effect the mics near the camera. Nikons lenses can be heard from feet away. If I could afford the Sony A7RII that would be a no brainer. Because it can effectivley use canon glass. (according to some pre-release reviews) and do everything you would want in a video DSLR. And don't forget the A7S with it's low light capabilities. The A7S could pay for itself if it enables you to get good video without using too much light witch will affect the photographer and make them less likely to recomend you. I'm a long time photographer and people ask us all the time to recomend a good videographer, and we will only recoment ones that take good video and don't affect our pictures so never underestimate how important it is to make them like you. Bruner, how does the GH4 do in lowlight? But if you can afford the A7RII and it lives up to it's hype, that is the only one with no down side. I will be waiting until it is released and pick up a used D750 cheap because many photographers will be dumping their kits to switch to Sony.

Nate76
      Participant

I thought I would follow up with what I decided to do. I'm going all Sony. It doesn't make sense to invest in either Canon or Nikon when the mirror is just going to get in your way anyway. Sony's A series can all do 1080 60p. I picked up an A7 from Craigslist for $700 and it is one heck of a 3rd camera and I will buy an A7S next month when their value plummets like all sony camera do. It's real hard to get excited about what Canon and Nikon are doing for video, where Sony is a lot more focused on it. 

Towab
      Participant

All cameras are good. I think shooting technique is the main matter.

brunerww

The GH4's maximum continuous recording time is 220 minutes.

With respect to moire, Panasonic GH cameras are head and shoulders above most Canon DSLRs.

Except for the 5D Mark III and 7D Mark II, all Canon DSLRs suffer from a phenomenon known as "moire" as the result of poor downscaling.  Panasonic G and GH cameras, on the other hand, have a better downscaling algorithm. Here are a couple of side-by-sides between the Canon 60D and a moire-resistant Panasonic GH camera:

Newer Canon cameras are not much better.  Here is a side-by-side between the Canon 60D and 70D:

Unlike lower end Canon cameras (to include the 6D), moire will not be a problem for you with the GH4.

Because of the smaller sensor, however, it is not as sensitive to light as a full frame camera.  As with small sensor camcorders, this is easily addressed with fast lenses.

Here are a couple of examples of weddings (with at least one low light sequence) shot with the Panasonic GH4 and 17.5mm, 25mm and 42.5mm f/0.95 Voigtlander Nokton lenses:

Because of their extemely wide aperture, these lenses also give you wonderful "full-frame-like" bokeh:

Again, hope this is helpful and good luck with your decision!

Bill

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘DSLR’s’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2021

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN