Wedding Footage Questions

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello,

It has been a while since I last used this forum so if I put this in the wrong place please do let me know.

Basically how much footage do you get in an actual wedding, from start to finish? Say a 6 hour wedding: pre-ceremony, ceremony, reception. (Do you have close to 6 hours of footage or less?)

As a pro would you say that you don’t have any shaky footage? That is, you actually just capture the shots you need, such as bride walking to groom cut then go to when they are both before the officiant (2nd Camera). Or do you just hit record and never stop recording even when you walk to the aisle? (Hence you get some random footage of the floor while you run to the aisle to get that shot.)

I apologize in advance if this all sounds confusing. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated since I am hoping to get better at shooting weddings fast. πŸ˜›

Participant

You touch on a great many issues here. As writers in Videomaker Magazine have described in numerous articles, there are several kinds of wedding video deliverables. Some videographers carefully stage almost all the shots, editing what has come to be called a “short form” video. Others deal with the events of the day as if they were shooting a documentary, staging nothing and getting the best shots they can throughout the day. Which you decide on should be in consultation with the bride and groom.

Unless you are staging everything, it is my opinion that the more footage you have the better your choices and the easier your edit. When I was shooting weddings I rarely turned off the camera during the pre-wedding activities and during the time spent in the ceremony venue. There’s a great deal going on and if you’re alert you can capture excellent serendipitous footage.

If you’re using two cameras during the ceremony, definitely do not turn off either camera from start to finish. You’ll be able to sync the audio and edit the two sources together with a minimum of difficulty.

During the reception, I always try to include shots of everyone in the room. You may not use much of this footage but having it is a good hedge against the bride wanting to see her collage roommate. Ditto the dancing: more is better.

You can always edit out material that doesn’t tell the story of the wedding. But there’s nothing worse than realizing that you don’t have any shots of the ring bearer and flower girl, or the sign in front of the church, or the buffet, shots that you could have recorded but didn’t bother with.

when export the mpeg, wmv, and other formet then Problem is –
      1.0*8000fff:catastrophic failur
      2.edius has stopped working
      windows can online for a solution to the problem the next time you go online
      please help me, sir

I just filmed my first wedding, and even though I got all the necessary shots, I felt like it was not my best work. My question would be getting the proper audio for the ceremony/reception. Would it be ideal to use a shotgun or placed mic?

I was really inexperienced when I was once asked to shoot a couple of weddings a few years ago. I kept the camera rolling most of the time just in case I might miss important moments, never mind even if the footage is shaky as long as you have it on tape. You obviously cannot ask people to repeat key moments if you have missed it; people will laugh at you for not being pro. And I highly advise to get a second camera in there even if it is operated by an amateur.

Also think about who are the main people that will be watching the wedding video after the event. I once received a feedback by the mother of the bride that I should have shot more footage of her (the mother) and her immediate family members. Apparently this bride’s mother was very keen to show the video to her own friends and relatives, even more so than the bride and groom showing it to their own friends. So bear in the mind, the bride and groom are not the only stars during the wedding and make sure all the stars look good on camera! As I learnt, the people who watch the video usually like seeing themselves look good on camera. Do that and you will be paid well and probably also get more referral jobs too.

Participant

Thanks for the comments guys this is all really helpful and I truly appreciate the feedback.

Participant

I shoot weddings with at least 4 cameras, two static and two operated. Can use GoPro for static, but 4K is best so you can crop to HD size without losing a pixel of HD resolution. One high in back, either in balcony or on a high tripod. One static behind the alter. Then two operated, one on each side in front 1/3, so you can get face close-ups of bride and groom. Be sure to pan wedding party on each side. Get close-up of ring, but sometimes that’s not possible during the ceremony so stage it after; get so close on putting on the ring(s) one can’t tell it wasn’t live. While there is a lull post ceremony and waiting for reception, have one camera shooting the photos being taken of bride and groom with each family, and have one camera interview guests. Have a set of questions, like what wishes do you have for them, when did you first meet them, tell me your favorite story about (bride) groom. Keep both cameras going during reception. Get lots of close-ups and b-roll, not just the action. Get many angles, like feet walking, children at their level. Try 4K Wimius for the static cameras, about $70 each on ebay. Not quite as good as GoPro, but 90%, have wifi, and sharp image. If you pay 2nd camera $200, charge $400 extra, etc. Short answer to your question, have lots of memory cards and shoot everything possible. Get a good microphone, but also a wireless lav on groom or minister to capture ceremony and vows. Put a good mic on each camera. Turn off the tally light. Walk around with camera running, but facing down or hanging at side. That way when you pull up to shoot guests won’t think it’s on until they see the red light. Shoot sometimes from the hip. Get more natural shots that way. Get candid shots. You’ll spend many hours editing; just plan on it and charge accordingly. You can make one long DVD with lots of shots that tells the whole day, and one about 10-12 minutes of the highlights for them to share with family, wedding party, and those far away who could not attend. Basically the long one is your first or second edit, then keep cutting. Ask them if they want it on the web, but be careful there of copyrighted commercial music.

Participant

Thanks for your feed back @Jack Wolcott. This is great information. I was told by someone that we should never try to stage anything, so I assumed it was wrong. But to tell a story some minor things can be added to make it film-like I suppose. I have recently started shooting weddings so I am trying to get as much info as I can.

lizplizp
      Participant

Hi Abdullah, ok so the export of your video failed for some reason. Maybe check your settings, and check you are trying to export in the best format for your source footage etc.
      Then try to export again. Good luck πŸ™‚

lizplizp
      Participant

Thanks Ivan, yes I agree with all of the above, but I do turn the camera/s off when there is nothing important happening ( eg when the guests are milling around) But saying that , I walk around with my main camera and often see precious snippets that I can record quickly there and then. I also get the bride/groom to give me a list of things they really want recorded ( and these often include things I may not have thought of) I also get pans of the setting before the wedding starts, signs, wedding venue and gardens etc, or footage of something like a fountain where the wedding will take place as this footage can be great to begin the intro to your video and you can place titles/text on this.
      It is tricky to not miss anything. Once recently I missed the groom’s father welcoming the bride to his family and there’s NOTHING you can do about it! You have to watch like a hawk and know the timing of the main events…wear a watch and be ready for sudden changes and opprtunities. I love it! Hope these ideas help

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap