Wedding dance music copyright

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Can anyone clear up my question about music copyright during a wedding reception? If I video the bride & groom dance along with the music the DJ is playing am I in copyright violation when including it on the finished video or is it ok as incidental background music?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide me.

Participant

Short answer – yes. There are various off the shelf licenses available. If it goes on youtube, for example, their system will almost certainly identify it – even as thin and weedy background music, and either remove the whole thing, remove the audio or send you nasty removal emails – or they might simply add an advert the copyright holder can earn from.

Their systems are good enough to even spot the song when performed by a band – so just having a band sing a michael jackson song will probably be spotted. PRS and PPL might be involved, but probably just PRS. Even incidental music must be cleared.

You haven’t said what country you are in – so while my advice is ok for the UK, if you are elsewhere, then I can’t help.

Participant

Thank you for your reply, I should have mentioned I’m in the US.

Participant

I’m not an attorney but my understanding is that in the U.S. the music played during the dance is “incidental,” part of the event and therefore not subject to copyright infringement. If you use that music elsewhere in your video, however, you better have permission.

Participant

Youtube in the US routinely removes any video with music audible in it, and now Facebook does too! I’ve no idea if you can get around this legally over there?

Participant

Now, for my Youtube videos, I use the free music Youtube provides….problem solved.

Participant

It is possible to challenge YouTube, some times successfully. It’s always worth a try. I’ve also had them tell me that I was using copyright protected music (which I already knew) and do nothing about it. On one occasion they told me that my video couldn’t be shown in three foreign countries but did nothing to take down the video. Go figure.

Participant

Hi Jack,
      The next time they give me any static over hearing a little music over the motorcycles’ stereo I’ll fight it just to see what happens.

Participant

What’s the point? Fighting any rights issues is expensive, time consuming, and you rarely win – because you are not arguing you didn’t do it, you’re just arguing the law is wrong. That is irrelevant. Until the law changes, you still did it. That is why taking people to the new intellectual property on-line court is usually very cut and dry, and worth doing for copyright holders who wish to get heavy.

Participant

We actually had a Judge Judy episode today where a club used a photo found on the net – they tried to argue, but she just said “you can’t do that”

Participant

That song will be copyrighted, you can not enable monetized ads from it. It’s better to use free music like Marimba Remix

Participant

Thanks for your advice, Jack, I was hoping that’s what it was. Sometimes Youtube can be very unforgiving of incidental music. Several short videos that I’ve shot from my motorcycle were removed by them because music from my stereo could be heard from time to time.

Participant

I didn’t mean to imply that i’m going to turn it into a federal case, just push back a little to see what happens. Besides, I do the motorcycle videos so infrequently, it’s really a non-issue.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap