Wavy Footage

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hello all !

Having shot some footage recently with my Canon XF200 – 50mbps 1920-1080P 25fps 1/50, i encountered an issue with my footage (See Youtube Video). You will notice within the red circle the curtains, books and other areas appear to become rather wavy. I am un-sure if this is an issue with settings on my camera or just lighting within the room which reflected in a certain way and caused this effect. What is odd is that the more you increase the video size you notice it less and as you decrease the size of the video (within the player) you notice is far more. If anyone has any suggestions what it is and how to fix it, that would be grand !? thanks.

While I cannot see the issue in your video (I did watch it several times), in the drone world this effect is called “jello”. It is my understanding that there are no post-processing tools available to fix this. Someone else may be able to chime in with better information, but I do not believe that this can be fixed.

Participant

This is often referred to as “moire,” defined by Webster as “an independent usually shimmering pattern seen when two geometrically regular patterns (as two sets of parallel lines or two halftone screens) are superimposed especially at an acute angle.” We can’t see the patterns within your red circle very clearly, but my guess is that the shimmering is coming from fabrics with intricate patterns too complex for the camera to resolve.

There really isn’t anything you can do to fix this in post as far as I know, although you might try adding a very small amount of blur to this portion of the shot. In shooting, be aware of this effect and avoid materials that cause it.

Participant

I had the same thing – couldn’t see anything wavy. The youtube clip for me was a bit odd – popped into focus, then went blurry so couldn’t really see what we’re talking about.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap