Videos Rejected

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      brianmar

Hi there,

I recently submitted some videos to a stock agency and most of them were rejected because they said they were compressed too much and some were low quality in a ‘technical sense’. I shot them all in 1080p 60fps, edited them in iMovie and saved them as .mov so that they could be uploaded.

I am not sure how they got compressed or what the problem is. How do I shoot high quality video or edit the video without getting it compressed? What do they mean, ‘in a technical sense’…my angles?

I am just beginning this journey and I am not super technical yet. Thank you very much for your help.

JackWolcott
      Participant

I would address these questions to the stock agency. Ask what format they want video to be delivered in — e.g., mp4, mp2, avi, mov, etc., — and what they mean by “low quality in a technical sense.” Are they saying that your composition is lousy and you have poor shot selection, or that your images are shaky and you should be using a tripod? Without answers from the agency to questions such as these, you’re playing in a game whose rules you haven’t been supplied.

Good luck.

paulears
      Participant

and also which flavour of the formats Jack mentioned. When I have a finished project in Premiere, the options I have for exporting that file are huge. 1080 in 60fps can have HUGE file sizes, I’d guess you chose a more economical preset and threw away much of your quality. Lots of people complain about Vimeo and Youtube, who process their material, making it worse still.

What format did you end up with and at what specification. They all have high to low bitrates and various compression systems.

Kevin Mc

And also – how many megabits per second are you shooting at? If the source footage has a low Mbps rate, it can be upscaled mildly, but it is what it is. I shot for Footage Firm for a while. They insist on using a tripod. They don’t necessarily want pans and zooms – just good steady shots.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best Nikon lenses — 2021

Nikon cameras are a favorite for DSLR shooters. Nikon has their own line of lenses, but there are also some third-party options available for both F mounts and Z mounts. Here are the best Nikon lenses currently available on the...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN