Video storage help!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hey guys!

So I have been using iMovie on my mac to make miscellaneous videos for my YouTube page. I don't have any fancy video equiptment (yet) but soon hope to get myself a DSLR. Anyway, my issue is that I have accumulated a lot of video on my mac and iMovie moves extremely slow. I recently downloaded the 30 day trial of Final Cut Pro X and have been screwing around with it some but I have the same issues..the videos are just clogging up my computer!! How do videographers do it? What kind of harddrives do they use/ what can I do to make Final Cut run like it should? I will drag a clip into the bottom window and try to play it and it will skip around. Especially if I have effects in there it will freeze up. Any kind of transitions make it worse and worse. 

Please help!! πŸ™‚

Thanks,

SC

Sounds like a computer/platform issue. Laptop or desktop? Is your video on a separate drive from the system drive? How much RAM? Have you looked at the system requirements for your editor, and does your computer, and does your computer satisfy those requirements?

At a minimum of once a week, folks ask your questions. Have you researched the Forum to see what kind of responses were provided? Are you willing to learn, or are you too lazy? You're not the first person to post such a problem . . .

RWC

" Technology can be daunting when you are unfamiliar with it. "

Yup . . . . and you're certainly not alone. Under the tab which is labeled " Forums ", there are a number of topics. Under the heading of " Editing ", there are 2519 topics with 11,780 posts. I'll grant that not all of the topics deal specificlly with your question, but I'll bet a very large number of them do, or at least address some aspect of it.

The best place to start in tracking down the source of your troubles is in looking at the minimum computer requirements listed by the editing software you're using. The minimums are certainly not the optimal. For instance, what size system drive on your laptop? What's the rotational speed? 7200 RPM is minimal. You can never have too much RAM. You should never have your video files on your system drive; they should be on a second, very large drive.

" I assume my computer satisfies the requirements for my editor since iMovie and Final Cut Pro X are both Apple editing software. " . . . may not be a valid assumption. Perhaps for iMovie, but maybe not for FCP. I note that a number of folks are having to transcode the video files from their camera into some other file format in order to edit in FCP. That will certainly soak up drive space!

I'm no expert in Mac Land, but I've read enough complaints similar to yours which crop up almost on a weekly basis. All those complaints and questions are archived. You'd probably learn more from sifting through the Forum history than you could glean from a handful of replies to your direct question.

RWC

Participant

Sounds like you might consider acquiring an external hard-drive, an external Blu-Ray writer or both to alleviate your storage/archive issues.

I don't edit/produce on a Mac, but the "geek-online" stores will have Mac compatible products.   And for speed when editing, consider acquiring a medium sized "solid state drive" (SSD).  I recently acquired a 256GB SSD made by Samsung for around $210 and my local geek parts store has an external case for such devices that are less than $20.   The SSD fits perfectly and automatically connects to a USB cable.   Most Macs/PCs should recognize the drive immediately and it acts like a large/FAST "thumbdrive" in that mode.

If you opt for the Blu-Ray writer, you might want to consider the somewhat proprietary "BDXL" technology that allows recording 100+ GB on a standard 25GB BD disc.   Save your "masters" on DISC and only have what you're currently working on actually residing on the hard-drive of your computer.

HTH.

Dave/San Antonio, TX

Inactive

Hey there,

Seems to me your problem is not with storage or the speed of your hard drive.

What format are the videos you are editing ? A .mov container does not mean they are ready for editing in Final Cut Pro. They might be encodded in H264 which is not really supported by Final Cut. When you use H264, scrolling in your timeline can be very sluggish and it gets worse when you add in transitions and such (which by what I understand, is your problem).

My advice would be to convert some of your source material to Apple ProRes LT using MPEG Streamclip (great software btw) and try editing again.

Cheers !

Participant

Well I think its obvious that I am willing/want to learn if I am here asking for help… and it is hard to find information answering questions so specific to my exact case especially when I just joined this forum and I am not familiar with it etc. But here is my situation: its on my macbook pro:

I upload the videos into iPhoto Libary, and both iMovie and FCPX can access the clips from iPhoto Library. I can't figure out how to store the videos somewhere that I can access them only when I need them, and put them somewhere that they will not affect the speed of producing other projects when I don't need those clips…  I assume my computer satisfies the requirements for my editor since iMovie and Final Cut Pro X are both Apple editing software…but I honestly I am new to all of this and would like some genuine advice without getting questioned about whether I am too lazy to figure the problem out. Technology can be daunting when you are unfamiliar with it.

Thank You,

SC

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2021

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap