video formats

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

If I have a project in Vegas pro 9, render a bunch of clips in say wmv, then import those clips into another new project, then render all those clips in avi format, will the quality suffer? In other words must all rendered clips stay in same format to maintain quality?
      Thanks

Participant

WMV is a distribution format and shouldn't be used for anything else. Ideally you stay with your original format. SInce you don't say what that is, my recommendation is to render to MXF which gives you excellent quality for future use.

Mike

Participant

A related question.  In Adobe Premiere Elements 8 what output would give me the best quality video?  For example to DVD what settings would give me the best looking video on DVD.  Assuming I'm using clips that are 1080P30.

Participant

I don't use Premiere but I can tell you that, in Vegas, I have to render out an MPEG-2 and accompanying AC-3 or WAV file for my DVD authoring program.

Also, a DVD is limited to 720×480 resolution (in the NTSC world) so you're going to lose a lot of your source quality. A Blu-ray is the only way to keep that quality.

Mike

Participant

When I get ready to "Share" a video in Premiere elements 8, I think my best two options are there.

1) MPEG Description 1920x1080i 29.97 High quality

File Type H.264 Blu-ray

Frame Rate 29.97

Audio Setting Dolby Digital 192 (kpbs) 48 khz

or

2)

all settings are the same except instead of H.264 Blu-ray I have

MPEG-2 Blu-ray

Which would be the higher quality video?

Participant

Barnacle – I don't have the program in front of me right now so I'm doing this from memory, but if you're making a DVD as opposed to a Blu-Ray disk, MPEG-2 is what you will be creating. When you click SHARE in PE, it should bring up the options for either Blu-Ray, DVD or in later versions of PE, AVCHD on DVD.

DVD will play in all players and give you standard def. Blu-Ray will play in only Blu-Ray players and give you high def. AVCHD on DVD will play in many Blu-Ray players (not in DVD players.) 

A Blu-Ray disk holds much more info than a DVD, so if you have a Blu-Ray burner, and don't intend to play it on a DVD player or non-Blu-Ray equipped computer, use Blu-Ray output since it will always give you the best possible quality.

Lakepirate 48 – Like rs170a said – the more times you change format, the more chance you have at reducing the image quality. Try to stay native quality whenever possible for best result until you HAVE to transcode it for distribution. A copy of a copy (etc.) is never as good as the original. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
homicide-bootstrap