Video File Incorrectly Interpreted as 4:3 and not 16:9

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Video File Incorrectly Interpreted as 4:3 and not 16:9

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I have a Samsung HMX-F90 which records in MP4 format. No matter what I edit it in, Vegas, Pinnacle, Windows Movie Maker – they all see it as a 4:3 format. But if you call up the tags, this is what you find:

Video
      ID : 1
      Format : AVC
      Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
      Format profile : Main@L4.0
      Format settings, CABAC : Yes
      Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
      Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=15
      Codec ID : avc1
      Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
      Duration : 47s 998ms
      Bit rate : 8 286 Kbps
      Width : 720 pixels
      Height : 480 pixels
      Display aspect ratio : 16:9
      Original display aspect ratio : 3:2
      Frame rate mode : Constant
      Frame rate : 59.940 fps

The only program that PLAYS these files at the correct ratio is MPC-HC. Everything else plays in 4:3. In Pinnacle, right clicking the video brings up a box that has options: 16:9 4:3 with 4:3 selected, but both options are greyed out meaning I cannot change them. How in the world do I fix this?

In Vegas, if you go to the project properties, does it allow you to change it to 16:9?

Mike WilhelmMike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

720×480 is a 4:3 format, believe it or not, because the pixel aspect ratio is not 1:1, it's actually .9. That is to say, the individual pixels aren't square, they're rectangular. That's why DV is a 4:3 frame aspect ratio even though the pixels are 720×480, which is closer to 16:9.

If there's somewhere in your editing software to change the sequence pixel aspect ratio to 1:1, you should have your widescreen aspect ratio back.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Nikon lenses — 2021

Nikon cameras are a favorite for DSLR shooters. Nikon has their own line of lenses, but there are also some third-party options available for both F mounts and Z mounts. Here are the best Nikon lenses currently available on the...
homicide-bootstrap