Video camera for sports needed

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi.

I need a professional video camera for sports, I was considering the Canon C100 but have been told that whilst it can be used it is not ideal.

I shoot mainly fast action, please see my site, https://www.facebook.com/JRSPhotography.co.uk

I am looking to spend approximately £2-4K so any advice on a good camera for sports use would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Hi JRSP – the C100 will give you very nice images, but Canon doesn't make a power zoom for it – and you really need the ability to change your focal length quickly if you're shooting sport.

Instead, you may want to consider the Sony NEX-EA50.  Here is what this camera can do:

Cycling:

Youth Football:

You can get a new UK stock NEX-50 from CompAdvance in London via eBay for £3134.  The camera comes with an 18-200mm power zoom – and, with an adapter, you will be able to use your still camera lenses with it.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Thank you, you have confirmed what one person has told me.

Would you suggest any others/makes please

For fast-moving sports, you may want a CCD camera. Most cameras these days use CMOS sensors, which suffer from 'shutter roll', which creates artifacting in the moving image. A quick Google search should help you find out more about it.

Participant

Thank you all, low light is important

Just about any of the professional small sensor cameras in your price range will do the job – but you'll lose the shoulder mount and lens interchangeability.

The Canon XF305 for example, will give you results that look like this:

Used, this camera is between £2778 and £3500.

Again, hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Yes – CCDs are great for eliminating skew – but they are not very good in low light. And it's going to be tough to find a new CCD camera – the only manufacturer left in your price range is JVC.  You can find an old JVC GY-HM700E, for example, on eBay every once in a while, but they're rare.  Here's one in what appears to be pretty good condition for £2420.

Here is what this camera can do (back focus issue in part of the video, but the rest is sharp):

Here is Philip Bloom's 2009 review:

Cheers,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Storage Buyer's Guide

The best digital storage for video editors — 2020

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap