VHS VCR Replacement

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’m putting this under Editing, as it relates to editing my resume reel.

Besides my paying jobs as a videographer and video transfer guy, I also volunteer for the local community Cable channel. Now then I like getting copies of my work for my resume reel, and with stuff that I do on a paying basis I can usually get a high-quality copy of my work from the original master tapes, whether it be another tape copy in the same standard or even a DVD/Blu Ray copy. However for the station I volunteer at that is not an option as they just don’t have the time to be making copies for the volunteers. So the only way to get a copy is to record it off air.

Now I still use VHS as I like the T-180 tapes for when I do stuff like tape the local Junior Hockey Team’s games, as I can record upto 3 hours in VHS SP. I also have a DVD Recorder that can record upto 2 hours in its SP mode (average bitrate is in the 5.0-6.0 Mbps range) with decent picture quality, however as Hockey usually goes over 2 hours, I have to record that in the LP mode (that’s in the 3.0 – 5.0 Mbps range), resulting in pictures with poor color, pixelation and very dark, grainy video. With the LP video I’ve tried editing with it using a direct digital transfer of the VOB files, however that makes the image even worse, as well as doing an analog capture (popping the disc into a DVD player and then capturing from S-Video, or composite, as I still have analog cable, and I also find that the DVD recorders 2-D separator does a poor job at splitting the incoming composite video, so I run it through a Canopus ADVC-300 via composite and the 300’s 3-D separator provides a much better color) that I find does improve the video a little bit by removing the DVD’s MPEG-2 encoding from the mix.

But with both VHS and DVD Recorders I prefer the VHS for it’s durability. I still have VHS tapes from 30 years ago that still play, whereas I’ve got DVD’s that I recorded only 6 years ago that are no longer readable. So I have been looking into possible picking up a couple of DVHS VCR’s (as they can record 4 hours of HDTV, and upto 14 hours of SDTV) , but is there anything else out there (besides DVR’s) that can do the same as VHS VCR’S, but record a better image? Also I’ve noticed that true DVHS/SVHS tapes are no longer, so with a DVHS I’d either have to buy D9 tapes or modify the VCR so that the sensor that detects the extra holes in the cassettes is disabled and would allow

What about a PVR or a Video Capture Card?

Participant

I had thought about a DVR/PVR — but then the question comes of where to put the video once the hard drive fills up, what removable media do I transfer the video to to save it.  Also, I have analog cable (with clear qam channels), so a DVR/PVR, from what I've read on the available ones, are not compatible with analog cable.

As far as TV capture cards go, I've looked at the specs on a few, and I have not been impressed.  Plus the compression seems very high on a number of them.  (Most, for analog capture state that 1 hour of video will use 1.5Gbph for it's best quality capture. I can set my DVD recorder to XP mode and record 62 minutes over 4.7 Gbph.)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
homicide-bootstrap