VHS to DVD, how do I start. Oh, and finish.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I asked this question years ago and eventually learnt how to do what I asked but as I said, that was years ago now a friend has asked me the same question and I have forgotten what I did so could someone please advise.

I have thirty or more VHS family videos which are tedious to watch in that viewing is difficult to control. By that I mean moving about within the VHS tape. None of these VHS tapes has been edited so there is a lot of rubbish that needs dumping.
      The solution appears to me to place this material onto DVDs but I have read that may not present a medium within which to edit the material.
      I would like to capture the VHS content, delete the rubbish, add titles, add comment in text and possible add some voice over and maybe some music. It appears to make sense to me to have the content of more than one of the VHS cassettes on a single DVD if there is space.

So, what software do I need and what hardware?

Participant

The process involves digitizing the VHS signal. Although there are converters on the market that will do this, perhaps the least expensive way is to purchase a cheap digital camera that will convert the analog signal to a digital signal. I use a digital 8 Sony DCR TRV530 which I purchased on eBay for about $100 to do this. Connect the outputs (video and audio) from your VHS deck to the corresponding inputs in your camera, then out of the camera via firewire to your computer. You’ll need a firewire card in the computer to do this.

Another option is to use a fire wire to USB conversion cable from the camera to your computer. Take a look at this Videomaker Forum exchange for more on this, keeping mind that it was written 5 years ago and that, as the comments indicate, folks have had mixed success with these adapters: https://www.videomaker.com/community/forums/topic/do-firewire-to-usb-adapters-work

Look at software such as that made by Magix (Movie Edit Pro) and Corel (Movie Studio) — there are countless others as well — to see it they satisfy your editing needs and fit within your budget. They will allow you to capture the VHS video and edit it, add color correction and produce the kind of results you’re looking for.

Participant

Another thing you might want to consider is using a S-VHS/D-VHS VCR that has S-Video outputs, especially if you are digitizing camcorder original tapes. I’m digitizing a batch of VHS-C right now for a customer and the quality is simply amazing. I just recently finished transferring a number of Video8’s and the quality and resolution is nearly the same at SP (the VHS-C are softer and a few were recorded in SLP, but on things like tables you can make out the grain and knot holes).

Otherwise using just a common VCR with RCA composite, you are adding noise and losing quality.

Another option you might want to think about is getting a service to transfer your recordings to hard drive in DV-AVI/MOV or whatever codec you want (definitely not h.264/MPEG-4 or DVD MPEG-2 if you want to do some editing).

VHS to DVD,and DVD to Blu-ray Player.http://www.f2fsoft.com/blu-ray-player/

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap