Vertical mount for shooting piano?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Has anyone come across an easy DIY method for mounting a camcorder so it is able to shoot straight down at a piano keyboard? I don't need anything permanent, just a one time throw away deal.

Participant

I built a DIY Jib a couple years ago and mounted a Manfroto 128RC head on it but I'm still using it today. I think if you looked up a couple of those on the internet you'll find something you can do cheap. Just mount a release plate out front rather than on top.

Participant

Yeah, should be able to come up with something, just have to see what's available. I figured I wasn't the first that had this need =)

I used to use a horizontal arm that mounted on my Manfroto. Like Woody, I mounted the tripod head on the arm.

Participant

Oh, so I should just be able to buy something to attach to my regular tripod? I didn't even think of that. I'll check with B&H

Participant

I do overhead shots as part of instructional videos I make. I took a 1×2 piece of wood, cut about 18 inches for the horizontal part, and about 6 inches for the vertical part (which hangs down from the horizontal part – a picture would really help here) and then a simple 1/4-inch bolt which screws into the camera with a wing nut to tighten it. I simply put the horizontal part on a shelf, put something heavy on it, and the vertical part hangs out directly over what I'm shooting. Total cost, using scraps already on hand? Zero.

That's pretty cool!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap