Vertical mount for shooting piano?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Has anyone come across an easy DIY method for mounting a camcorder so it is able to shoot straight down at a piano keyboard? I don't need anything permanent, just a one time throw away deal.

Participant

I built a DIY Jib a couple years ago and mounted a Manfroto 128RC head on it but I'm still using it today. I think if you looked up a couple of those on the internet you'll find something you can do cheap. Just mount a release plate out front rather than on top.

Participant

Yeah, should be able to come up with something, just have to see what's available. I figured I wasn't the first that had this need =)

I used to use a horizontal arm that mounted on my Manfroto. Like Woody, I mounted the tripod head on the arm.

Participant

Oh, so I should just be able to buy something to attach to my regular tripod? I didn't even think of that. I'll check with B&H

Participant

I do overhead shots as part of instructional videos I make. I took a 1×2 piece of wood, cut about 18 inches for the horizontal part, and about 6 inches for the vertical part (which hangs down from the horizontal part – a picture would really help here) and then a simple 1/4-inch bolt which screws into the camera with a wing nut to tighten it. I simply put the horizontal part on a shelf, put something heavy on it, and the vertical part hangs out directly over what I'm shooting. Total cost, using scraps already on hand? Zero.

That's pretty cool!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap