Using Virtual Sets?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi All,

I would like to jazz up student announcements and interview projects with virtual sets.

I have Adobe Premiere and After Effects to handle the keying (CS5), along with sufficient lighting.

My questions:

Which companies are the best to work with? TubeTape.com looks good. Anyone have experience with them?
      How easy is it to use multiple angles. I camera straight on won’t be an issue but what should I be thinking about when using multiple angles?
      How easy is it to use alpha mattes to customize the sets with school name and logo?

Best Regards,
      David Franz

If it doesn't look 100% real, then it looks like crap. I would never use virtual sets, in my opinion they are video atrosity, unless you can make so real I cannot tell you did it. Other wise in a world where all effects look realistic, like if that was possible thats what it would like, something that doesn't look real just looks like fail.

Luis Maymi LopezLuis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

I reccomend TubeTape virtual sets because they are made exactly how you need them. Also TubeTape is a trusworthy company with great customer service (bought a light set from them).

When working with virtual sets you need to decide your master shot, which is usually a frontal shot showing the main areas of the virtual set. 

This is my virtual set master shot. I start my "virtual recordings"" from this angle and from here I can easily change camera angles. BUT when you change camera angles you need to consider the size difference between the camera changes. For example if you change from a LS (as in the picture above) to a CU you need to either scale up the camera footage or record zoom in on set. You don't however scale up the virtual set picture to change camera angles. A good virtual set package will give you different camera angles already (the once from TubeTape have this). Since you're not doing this live (which is twice difficult) all you need to do is adapt the greenscreen footage to the virtual set (is way easier with After Effects). I'm going to stop here because I get excited and end up writting a full article. Still if you have any more question post them below and I or anyone from Videomaker's community will be happy to help.

PS: The virtual set above was made by me using Google SketchUp. The good thing about doing it yourself is that you have total control of the props, camera angles, etc. 

Participant

If you have the time I have seen some really good virtual sets created in Photoshop. There are a few companies out there that make real impressive ones; pricey though.

Participant

Did my question wind up in the Hogan's Heroes forum?

Thank you both for your responses!

I'm going with TubeTape. When I start working with it, I'll post results.

Sarge… how were the Tube Tape light kits. They are very affordable. Are they decent quality?

Thanks again!

David Franz 

Participant

check out http://www.movietools.com, really nice news studio moving backgrounds. I use a static background for some episodes of Video QuickTips, I got it in a huge package from  John Cooksey's website several years ago. I have seen animated versions of them on ebay from another company, apparently the one who made them originally. The stills were SD, but scale nicely and the one I use has several angles, though I usually just use one as the show is not complicated.  Lighting is the key, not just lighting for a good key (this sentence could get confusing) but to match the lighting of your talent to the lighting of the background you use. Light source must be at the right location.

http://www.billmecca.com

Participant

In short, a virtual set involves combining the green screen technology from what or who's being recorded, with a digital design superimposed around the video-recorded subject material. All virtual sets start off with green-screen technology. Green Screen, also known as green screen and Chroma Key, is the process of mixing two images together, in which a single color, usually green, is removed from the background and replaced with a new image. You might also have heard of this technology being referred to as Blue Screen, but the color green happens to work better for online video, as opposed to the color blue being more appropriate for film.

Participant

I appreciate all of the responses!

Luis Maymi LopezLuis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

The Tube Tape light (Linco Flora 4080 Watt 2 Head Kit. They don't sell this model anymore) I have are great quality. This softboxes require some space to set up, but they light incredibly great, evenly and they don't get hot. 

Participant

I appreciate your input!!

Participant

Use a blue screen. Many blondes have some tinges of green in their hair.

Participant

I have both blue and green screens.

Participant

Thank you for your review. That is the type of first hand info I need to make good decisions!

Participant

Thank you for your review. That is the type of first hand info I need to make good decisions!

Participant

I'm not sure that 100 percent reality is necessary in this case. I do not have the space to build sets and the kids are excited to try the virtual ones, since it almost feels like inserting oneself into a CGI world.

And thus my previous question stands. I do appreciate your input though.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap