Using mini DV hd tapes

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have a paranoia about losing my work after 2 friends lost all their footage with data cards not being loaded properly. One shot over 25 days and LOST IT! Any advice on handling it to make sure it never happens? Im still using mini DV in my paranoia!

Participant

Have a worflow for data collection. I have a main editing station and a laptop I can edit on. I use the laptop for all my data collection to external drives. I can color dailies on it and show footage to other crew or clients on it, then transfer the externals to the main machine for editing. But I collect all data at the end of every session. 

Going 25 days without collecting is setting yourself up for such things. Collect and back up often.

Participant

+1 to what Woody said. I've been shooting on SD cards for the past two years and my workflow remains the same. When I get back from a shoot, the first thing I do is to copy the footage from the cards to my computer's internal hard drive and then to an external for back up purposes.

Stick to the brand of card that the manufacturer recommends (or better) and you can't go wrong.

I'm not saying that there can't be manufacturing defects but this is rare.

If it's a brand new card, stick it in the camera, format it, hit record (shoot anything just as a test) and then check the card for errors. If it passes, then use it with confidence.

Mike

Participant

+2 to Woody's comments. Offload daily, no matter what the media, so you have an immediate backup. What's interesting here is that I had a media failure with mini DV tape while shooting a wedding. Lost 7 minutes of the ceremony. Good thing it was a relative with no obligations attached! That incident caused me to upgrade to a dual card camcorder that I always operate in redundant record mode. Haven't had a failure yet.

RockyRocky
      Participant

Interesting to note video equipment rental companies who rent video cameras with a card are now experiencing problems with card recodings (i.e recording totally or partially missing). As it was explained to me these cards failed to write data, in part or full, after continual repeitve formating. These rental companies now advise hirers they do not rent cards with the camera.

Whilst I appreciate the quality and convenience the card offers I have opted to use only cameras that record simitaniously on both card and tape, such as the Sony HVR-Z5. Even before I became aware of any card problem I always thought of a dual recordng system as good insurance.

Participant

I do event work and use a pair of Panasonic HMC150s which have only one card slot. Before using a new card I'd write to it via the PC to check it out. Wasn't sure if that really proved anything but knowing that it could be written to and read was helpful.

A while back I decided to pick up a pair of Atomos Ninja recorders and SSDs. While they are pricey, the SSDs are very reliable and let me sleep at night knowing the chances of losing footage have greatly diminshed. Oh and the uncompressed footage really is much better to work with.

Participant

I have a sony A1U that I love and it uses miniDV HD tape.  I can shoot for 60minutes  at 1080i and get very good wuality fby buying new tapes in bulk for about $1.50 per tape and I have my raw footage indefinitely.  I don't worry about a hard drive crashing which happened to me.  No problem, I just reload the tapes on a new harddrive,  Wh yshould I switch to much more expensive SD Cards? Maybe I'm missing something.

Will

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best tripods for video — 2021

Carefully comparing and reviewing system specs will ultimately help you find the best tripod to fit your needs and your budget.
homicide-bootstrap