Using a MFT and APS-C cameras

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I'm fliming my first wedding and I'm using my canon T4i and Panasonic G6. I'm using a sigma, 17-50 2.8 and a sigma 50-150 2.8 lens.

Which lens should go on what camera? I'm thinking of putting the 50-150 on the G6 with a speed booster and the 17-50 on the Canon. The G6 doenst have the time restrictions, so I'm thinking of putting it in the back unmaned ( just me filming) and the using the Canon so I can move around and get wider shots.

Thoughts please?

Hi ratpack84 – I think that's a good plan and exactly what I would do.  Check on the G6 every once in a while, if you can, to make sure it's still recording.  And, when budget permits, you might want to look into swapping your Canon body for another G6 (or a GH3 or GH4), to free yourself from that silly 30 minute time limit.

Good luck!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

@ratpack84 the link to your video is not valid (looks likes its missing the account name in the URL – vimeo.com/HERE/# )

Participant

Thanks,

Have you ever used one of the  focal reducer/speed boosters? I don't have a budget for the Metabones, so I'm looking into one of the other ones

Participant

Here is a link to the wedding I shot, with the canon T4i, Panansonic G6 and I was able to get a used GH2 (wish i would have hacked it first)

It's not done but please give me some feed back. This was my first wedding. Also I was able to have another shooter.

Sadly, inexpensive third party Speed Booster/Focal Reducers (like this $94 unit: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575034783&toolid=10001&campid=5337235943&customid=&icep_item=281240980971&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg), don't have aperture control – so the apertures on your EF lenses will be stuck wide open.

One alternative is to rent a Metabones EF to MFT Speed Booster from Borrowlenses, which will cost you $41 plus shipping for 3 days.  Unfortunately this product is not available until 10/22 (as of this post).

Or you can buy a $399 Metabones EF to MFT smart adpater (not a Speed Booster), which will give you electronic aperture control, but not autofocus.  This adapter is on back order with an uncertain ship date.

Another alternative is to simply buy a $31 Canon EF to MFT adapter with built-in manual aperture control.  This will do the job just fine.

Again, hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

brunerwww, Don't know if not having a apature ring is a bad thing if the main purpose is to use the lens in low light. I would keep it open wide (2.8). But if I use it outside there would be a problem. I like your last suggestion of getting a simple adapter with built in ring.

I've read that when you step down with these adpaters they start to produce vignetting or is that with the FF lenses? Also are speed reducer design for FF or APS-C

Participant

This should work

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap