Upgrading to HD with Analogue Switcher

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      PK
      Participant

Hi everyone

We have been using two Panasonic DVC20 in our Church for several years. Mixing with the Panasonic MX20 and I am confronted with the following scenarios.

Buy 2 Canon VIXIA HF G10 Flash Memory Camcorders or similar (used).
      Buy an Edirol v4 video switcher

Question.
      What would be the advantage of using a HD camera, if mixing with an analogue mixer and capturing with a Pinnacle ADVC110 with SVHS cables, over my current setup of using the DVC20.

My budget for buying the used gear is about 1500. I welcome suggestions on products that are out there that we can use.

many thanks

If you’re switching to an HD production and are recording with a computer then I recommend a Blackmagic ATEM switcher. Cheap but high quality.

http://www.amazon.com/Blackmagic-Design-Television-Production-Switcher/dp/B005ONOX2E

Trevor
      Participant

PK, one advantage with the camera’s would be that you could record the sermon in progressive scan, rather than interlace, and you could, if you wanted to, take the switcher out of the mix and have both camera’s record to memory card and then edit later (and in progressive, whereas S-Video will leave you in interlace). And if the recording is for your church’s website, it’ll look a lot cleaner and sharper in progressive rather than trying to de-interlace. Also I would recommend getting a Panasonic AG-HVX200. With the 200 you would have the option of recording 1080i30p, 1080i24p, 720p60, 720p30, 720p24, 480p60, 480p30, 480p24 right to P2 card, or you can also record 480i60p, 480i30p and 480i24p to Mini-DV cassette. Those are all the progressive recordings the camera can make (the camera’s about 10 years old), and you can transfer the P2 file by USB to your computer, or you can connect it by FireWire and import that way, and the Mini-DV cassettes, even though they are progressive, can be transferred by any Mini-DV camcorder or deck in progressive, as the tapes store the 480p in a progressive-segmented-frame (same as the 1080i24/30p on the P2 card) that interlace camcorders can playback.

As for an HD switcher, if your camera’s are still 480i, then it’ll do very little to improve the signal, alas you are working in 480i.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best video monitors — 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN